Former Triangle Club accountant sentenced to 3 years in prison for embezzlement

Former Princeton Triangle Club accountantThomas John Muza was sentenced to three years in prison last Friday for embezzling nearly a quarter of a million dollars from the theater company bySuperior Court Judge Timothy P. Lydon in Mercer County.

Muza was unavailable for comment.

The Princeton Triangle Club, founded in 1891, is the oldest touring collegiate musical-comedy troupe in the United States.

After a 20-year tenure at the world-touring group, Muza was dismissed in November 2013 when the club observed suspicious discrepancies and expenditures in its financial records. The club's internal investigations revealed thatMuza allegedly was writing checks from the club to himself. Muza was also subsequently removed from his position as general manager of McCarter Theatre.

Following multiple internal investigations aided by the Department of Public Safety, Muza pleaded guilty to a secondary degree theft by unlawful taking as he admitted to having stolen around $240,000 from the club between January 2008 and February 2013.

The Division of Criminal Justice indicted Muza on June 2, 2014.

The New Jersey Attorney General’s Office did not respond to multiple requests for comment.

Acting Attorney General of the State of New Jersey John Hoffman said in a press release from the Office of the Attorney General that Muza stole nearly a quarter of a million dollars from the club over the course of five years.

According to the release, Muza paid $200,000 in restitutionat the sentencing hearing.

Princeton Triangle Club presidentTori Rinker ’16 and Chairman of the Triangle Board of TrusteesMarc Segan ’77 deferred comment to a Oct. 23 press release.

In the release, Segan said that the club believes justice has been served and that they are very pleased with the announcement of Muza's sentencing.

According to its 2014 IRS tax-exempt return records, the club has net assets of $670,682 and gross receipts of $183,487. Its total expenses in 2014 were $130,197.

Muza had been paid around $4,000 dollars per year as the club’s accountant,.

Directorof the Division of Criminal Justice Elie Honig said in an official statement that with this prison sentence, the division is sending a strong deterrent message that white-collar crime does not pay.

Honig did not respond to a request for comment.