Tigers take west coast trip, win 3 of 5 games

The Princeton men’s water polo team traveled to the west coast this past weekend for a game against Santa Clara University and the Kap 7 NorCal Invitational at Stanford. The Kap 7 is a 16-school tournament, comprised mostly of west coast teams. The Tigers, ranked 12th in the most recent CWPA poll, opened the trip with a victory against the Santa Clara team, 12-7.

The Tigers came out to a blazing start against the Santa Clara Broncos with a 5-2 lead after the first quarter and would go on to win 12-7, as they were paced by sophomore goalie, Vojislav Mitrovic, who logged 13 saves in almost 30 minutes of play.

On Saturday, Princeton began its matches of the NorCal Invitational tournament, suffering a loss early in the day to the University of California, Irvine (ranked No. 8 in the nation), but rebounded later in the day with a victory against Redlands.

The Tigers played the UC Irvine Anteaters to a 3-3 tie early in the game before being thwarted by their opponents. Princeton would only score three more goals the rest of the game. Freshman Ryan Wilson scored the lone goal for the Tigers in the second while senior center Thomas Nelson and senior utility Jamie Kuprenas both found the back of the net in the third. The loss against Irvine placed the Tigers into the back draw of the tournament.

The game against Redlands was soon to follow. Despite an early 1-0 deficit, the Tigers rebounded for three straight goals to end the first quarter. Junior attack Bret Hinrichs and freshman utility Ryan Wilson netted a goal each in the last two minutes of the quarter. The Tigers took a 5-1 lead before Redlands quickly responded with two goals. Junior attack Curtis Fink tallied one more goal before the half. Nelson scored within the first 17 seconds of the second half, which was a catalyst for a run that ultimately put the Tigers up 10-3. Princeton ultimately won the game 14-6.

On Sunday, the Tigers defeated the University of California, San Diego before losing the ninth place game against the University of California, Davis.

Against UC San Diego, Wilson started Princeton’s scoring with two goals in the first 4:27. Tied at four with only 25 seconds left in the first half, freshman driver Michael Swart gave the Tigers the lead heading into halftime. Wilson and junior utility Jovan Jeremic each netted three goals and sophomore goalie Vojislav Mitrovic made 14 saves, including five in the second and third quarters each.

Against UC Davis, due to goals from Swart andsophomore attack Jordan Colina, the Tigers took a 2-0 first quarter lead. The Tigers fell behind 3-2 before a tying goal from Swart. UC Davis retook the lead into the second half, scoring to put them up 5-4. One goal behind was the closest the Tigers would get, however, as the Tigers finished in 10th place after a 10-7 loss.