Women’s squash sweeps in New England trip, men’s team goes 2-1

This weekend, the men’s and women’s squash teams had a busy travel weekend, taking on Stanford, Brown and Yale. The women were able to sweep the weekend, defeating all three of their opponents. The men split their match-ups, defeating Brown, but falling to Yale.

The women opened their weekend on Friday with a bang, routing Stanford in a 9-0 sweep. The match was held at Brown, and it was the first match Princeton had away. However, this clearly did not phase the Tigers, who won all their matches but one in three straight sets. They played in a two-shift format, with positions two, four, six and eight competing first, followed by one, three, five, seven and nine. The first shift’s success set the momentum of the match in the right direction for the Tigers, and the second shift was able to ride it out for the win.

On Saturday, the Tigers stayed in Providence to take on the Bears. The women had another sweep, beating the Bears 9-0. They played the same two-shift format on Saturday as they did on Friday. Sophomores Maria Elena Ubina, Alexandra Toth, and juniorTara Harrington earned 3-0 wins. Junior Rachel Leizman also came out with a 3-1 win. Seniors Nicole Bunyan and Hallie Dewey, as well as Olivia Fiechter and Isabella Bersani, were all able to win in three straight sets. Freshman Kira Keating also came away with a 3-1 win.

The men were also able to defeat Brown 7-2. The win did not come easily with four of the individual matches lasting four games. Junior Sam Ezratty rallied to a win over five games. Seniors Samuel Kang and Tyler Osborne both swept their matches at the one and two spots respectively. Princeton won all its matches from the fifth spot and below.

On Sunday, the women upset the Bulldogs 5-4 in New Haven. Going into the matchup, Princeton was ranked fifth, and Yale fourth. Fiechter and Ubina won their matches in three straight sets at the one and two positions. Keating and Toth were also able to win their matches at the eighth and ninth positions. Senior Nicole Bunyan proved her incredible mental strength as she rallied through five sets for a win that put the Tigers into the lead.

The men fell 6-3 to the Bulldogs. Kang and Osborne both won their matches at the one and two positions, and sophomore Ben Leizman also came away with a win. Kang won in three straight sets, while Osborne and Leizman both won 3-1.

The women came away from the weekend with a huge boost in their confidence. Knowing that they are capable of beating a team as strong as Yale bodes well for their performance in the Howe Cup in two weeks. The men fought hard and will continue to do so when they face Columbia on Friday.

Both the men and women will take on the Lions at Jadwin Gymnasium at 2 p.m. and 4 p.m., respectively.