USG passes referendum calling for extended winter break

An Undergraduate Student Government referendum calling on the faculty to provide for a three-week winter recess in the next calendar year was passed. If the referendum proposed by the Academics Committee is voted favorable by the faculty, the committee will meet with administrators by the end of January.

According to James Baase '15, chair of the Academics Committee, the 2015-16 calendar, which shortened winter break to two weeks, has garnered negative feedback from many students.

“Individual students have gone to speak with various administrators. However, there’s not much movement beyond that," Baase said. "The referendum would potentially give USG a solid student mandate to pursue a three week winter break to administrators, who are allowed to amend things like that."

Baase further noted that the administrators did not adopt fourpreviously suggested calendar alternatives for unclear reasons.

“There’s no guarantee that the Senate would be able to act on this issue. However, we should push for long-term change,” Baase added.

According to USG president Shawon Jackson ’15, soliciting nominations for the Council of the Princeton University Community Special Task Force on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is a priority for USG. Nominations will be accepted through Jan. 16 and CPUC will select at least one student chair to serve on each steering committee.

The USG also passed a resolution to request for funding from ODUS for its Inaugural Diversity and Leadership Workshop, which will take place off-campus.

Jackson also noted that USG is in good shape in terms of funding for the workshop and encouraged students to actively participate.

“We’re not defining leaders as holding specific titles here, but anyone with an influence on campus,” noted Jackson.

U-council chair Zhan Okuda-Lim ’15 said that University Provost David Lee GS '99 decided not to participate in the AAU survey due to uncertainty about what the survey questions may encompass. The administrators would like to pursue an independent survey, and in subsequent years, may use the AAU survey.

USG appointed Naimah Hakim '16 as a new U-councilor.

Discussions about whether to compensate Wintersession instructors surfaced during the meeting. A post-Wintersession lunch is planned so far for all instructors.

“Payment last year was also a hassle. We had a survey at the end of last year and most instructors said that are okay without getting paid,” said one member of the Wintersession committee.

“Payments may be an incentive but it may be logistically difficult,” added USG treasurer Regina Cai ’15.

Course enrollment for Wintersession will begin at noon on Monday.

As an update to a previous referendum, at the conclusion of the meeting, Okuda-Lim noted that in late December, ODUS updated and announced that an FAQ on mental health withdrawal is an authoritative policy for the University.

The meeting adjourned with remarks from Jackson and Stoneman and an informal ceremony of the transition of power.