CPUC launches task force on diversity

The Council of the Princeton University Community Executive Committee has launched a Special Task Force on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, University Provost David Lee GS ’99 announced in an emailto all undergraduates on Dec. 12.

The task force will consist of a steering committee and three working groups for policies and transparency, academics and awareness, and structures and supports.

The task force was launched after University President Christopher Eisgruber ’83 asked the CPUC Executive Committee to develop recommendations to improve University policies and practices on diversity, inclusion and equity, as well as events to promote constructive conversations about racial equality and diversity on campus and beyond.

The formation of a separate task force was necessary to ensure that a representative group was working together on the issue, Leesaid,adding that it is important for students of all backgrounds to have adequate representation on campus.

“This is brought on by heightened attention and awareness of events that have happened across the country that have to do with race issues,” Lee said.“I think it’s a very good opportunity. I’m very glad that there is heightened awareness. I think we can really make a positive impact in making the campus more inclusive.”

Joanna Anyanwu ’15, who spoke at a campus walkout in December, said that the administration had given students ample support during on-campus protests aftergrand juries in two separate incidents had announced rulings against indicting police officers who had killed unarmed black men - Michael Brown in Ferguson, Mo., and Eric Garner in Staten Island, N.Y.

“I don’t think there’s been an occasion when we felt stifled,” Anyanwu said.

The establishment of the task force follows an Undergraduate Student Government senate resolution passed on Dec. 7. Proposed by U-councilor Sol Taubin ’16, the resolution consists of a series of recommendations on how the University could improve students’ experiences relating to diversity, equity and inclusion.The resolution was sent to several administrators, including Eisgruber and Lee.

USG president Shawon Jackson ’15 said thatUSG members are very pleased to work with the administration on the issue.

“They were glad the USG senate passed a resolution, and the CPUCExecutive Committee is going to explore the recommendations proposed, in addition to other recommendations from students,” Jackson said.

The task force will provide periodic updates to the University community about its work, and it plans to release a report by the end of the semester.

The CPUC is encouraging students to voice their thoughts regarding the task force, either through the website or by contacting Vice Provost for Institutional Equity and Diversity Michele Minter.

Minter deferred comment to University spokesperson Martin Mbugua.

According to Mbugua, the Executive Committee is currently focusing on forming the steering committee and working groups.OnJan. 5, Lee sent an email encouraging students, staff and faculty to nominate themselves or others to serve on the task force.

Lee said the task force will work to identify both short-term and long-term developments that could make campus safer and more inclusive for the University’s diverse population.

However, Lee noted that the task force would not make all relevant decisions immediately and that some would take longer than others.

Jackson noted that, while the creation of a task force is an important step in enhancing inclusivity at the University, students could benefit from other solutions as well.