U. searching for special assistant to Eisgruber ’83

The University is looking to hire a special assistant who will report directly to University President Christopher Eisgruber ’83 in advancing his presidential initiatives and managing his projects.

According to the job posting on the University’s hiring page, the special assistant to the president for strategic initiatives will work closely with Eisgruber and will “operate at the nexus” of his agenda. Duties will include planning and monitoring presidential-level initiatives, helping to write and develop proposals for these initiatives, ensuring these proposals have been “properly vetted” by other University partners and communicating with donors to better understand their interests.

The future assistant will be hired from within the University, according to the posting.

Eisgruber explained in an interview that he came up with the idea for the new position.

“I wanted help with major projects and initiatives that take up over 40 percent of my time,” he said. “This person will help me plan for the University’s future.”

Eisgruber did not elaborate on which specific agenda items this person would be working on, but noted that his or her job will be leveraging him on whatever initiatives he will be pursuing.

As University president, Eisgruber has a “substantial portfolio” that requires him to balance and work on multiple projects at once, he said, noting that he felt his time would be better managed if he had an assistant who solely worked on these issues.

“When I took over the presidency, I quickly noticed there was no person in my office devoted to making sure my time was impactful on these tasks, which are important to what I’m doing,” Eisgruber said. “I wanted someone whose job was to do that.”

On the University’s hiring page, the posting has an “internal posting only” label attached to it, which means that the position will be filled by someone already employed by the University.

“We have great people here at the University,” Eisgruber said. “They will bring existing knowledge to the job that someone new might not necessarily have yet.”

Other qualifications noted by the job posting include at least five years experience in a higher education administration, the ability to analyze the components of academic programs, an understanding and high regard for the academic and ethical values of the University, and a familiarity with planning processes at the University, including the strategic planning process now underway.

The assistant will not only work on Eisgruber’s initiatives, but ones that were started by his predecessors as well, he said.

“I expect this job to evolve over time. They’re going to wind up performing many functions,” Eisgruber said.

He added that the position would require coordination of many duties that are essential to his presidency.