News & Notes: UVA suspends fraternity activity until next semester

University of Virginia President Teresa Sullivan announced that all campus fraternity activities are suspended until Jan. 9, according to ABC News.

The suspension, enacted on Saturday, comes after numerous reports of sexual assault and violence on the U.Va. campus were brought to light by a recent “Rolling Stone” article.

The article that was published last week reported alleged incidents of rape and sexual assault involving U.Va.'s chapter of the Phi Kappa Psi fraternity and detailed one student's allegations of sexual misconduct at the fraternity.

In her announcement, Sullivan said she asked the Charlottesville police department to investigate the alleged rape at the Phi Kappa Psi house.

Phi Kappa Psi announced on Thursday thatit was suspending all U.Va. chapter-related activities until further notice. The statement also noted that the fraternity will cooperate in any future investigations involving the chapter.

Virginia Attorney General Mark Herring said over the weekend that U.Va. had agreed to withdraw its appointment of former federal judge and prosecutor Mark Filip as independent counsel to investigate how the school responds to sexual assault allegations. While in college, Filip was a member of Phi Kappa Psi.