Fruits are exotic. Humans are not.

“How is your English so good?” I was confused by these words. I’ve never heardthem before—not addressed toward me anyway. English is my first language after all, so why wouldn’t I speak it well?

Then I realized why this person asked me this question. The answer is given whenI look in the mirror. To many people here, I look “exotic,” and when they find out that I’m from Guam, my “exoticism” increases. However, I’m not exotic. I’m a human being. Fruits are exotic. Humans are not.

This hasn’t been the only time that I've experienced something like this during my time at Princeton so far. I’ve heard, “What’s it like to be from a ‘territory?' ” and “Have you ever heard about [insert big-name U.S. company]?” and, the most invasive of all, “What are you?” What am I? I’m a human being and a Princeton student, just like you.

I guess I was struck by these questions because they were coming from the mouths of fellow Princeton students. At an institution filled with as much intellectual vitality and, in recent years, diversity as Princeton, I didn’t expect such questions. On the one hand, I don’t want to essentialize the entire student body, nor do I wish to condemn those who ask these questions. On the other hand, I do want to address the way in which these questions are asked.

It’s OK to be curious about a person’s culture, race, etc., but the way in which we express our curiosity must be handled with great care. We shouldn’t use inconsiderate questions—such as “What are you?”— to learn more about a person. Instead, we should ask questions that are better crafted such as, “I’d love to know more about where you’re from. Can you share more about your culture with me?” These types of questions, which are cushioned with genuine curiosity and awareness, avoid any offensiveness that might manifest in the conversation.

The University is a culturally and socially dynamic institution and only continues to become more so each year. Nevertheless, the hidden toxin of social ignorance and alienation still lingers on this campus. This problem can have detrimental effects on the psyches of the students who are on the receiving end. It causes them to question, “Do I deserve to be here?” To me, this self-doubt that is present in the minds of many students who face both explicit and implicit discrimination is one of the greatest injustices not only on Princeton’s campus but also in society as a whole. And it needs to stop.

As an institution that many people across the world admire, the University must act as a prime example of a welcoming, inclusive and culturally courteous environment. The student body must learn to handle the myriad of cultures that exist on this campus. No longer can we pretend to believe that these problems don’t exist. Why do I see clusters of white people, clusters of black people and clusters of Asian people sitting at different tables? Why do I see some people acting skeptically around others who do not share the same skin color as them? Why do I hear people call Colonial Club the “Asian eating club,” Ivy Club the “elite white eating club” and Cannon Club the “black eating club?” Why did I hear the other day someone say that the Fields Center is “a place for African-Americans to hang out?” Why do some people in our student body, despite being some of the brightest individuals in the country, say such ignorant things?

I have genuinely enjoyed the time that I have spent so far here at Princeton, but these problems cannot be dismissed. However, at the end of the day, I have faith. Call me an optimist, but I really do. Not too long ago, the University rejected women on campus; now the student population is nearly equal in terms of gender — even the dean of the college is female. Not too long ago, the University held a parochial view on sexuality; now it is ranked as one of the most LGBTQ-friendly institutions in America. To mitigate this problem of social segregation and discrimination, Princeton students must look beyond people’s skin color and other physical features and peer into the humanity that lies beneath. People on the outside of these cultural and racial groups must not solely define the people within them by the implications of what it means to be a part of those races and cultures, even though they are a big part of who these people are. In addition, when people start to become more accepting and respectful of other people’s cultures and races, these groups might not feel so compelled to stick to each other. Often, people in these groups feel the need to cling to each other because they find others not as welcoming. Keeping this in mind, Princeton students will be able to gradually rid the segregationist tendencies that still dwell on this campus.

Matthew Choi Taitano is a freshman fromYigo, Guam. He can be reached at mtaitano@princeton.edu.