Women end season with playoff loss to Cornell, men drop final regular season games

Men Drop Final Two Games of Regular Season

Over the month of February, the favor of fortune was as cold to the men’s hockey team as the air outdoors, and the transition into March over the weekend was no different as the Tigers (5-24 overall, 4-18 ECAC) fell in both of their road matches in New York. Princeton fell to Clarkson 3-1 on Friday night in Potsdam, and then suffered a 5-0 shutout the next day to close the regular season at St. Lawrence.

The Tigers hoped to avenge the 4-3 home loss suffered against Clarkson (18-14-4, 11-9-2) three weeks ago, but penalties hampered the Tigers in Friday night’s loss. The Tigers showed life early in the game, as senior forward Andrew Calof intercepted a Clarkson pass at Princeton’s own blue line and beat the Golden Knights’ goalie Greg Lewis via the five-hole to even the game at one apiece.

Despite the Tigers’ meager three shots during the first period, Calof’s goal was enough to keep the two sides deadlocked going into the second period. However, separate Princeton penalties for boarding and tripping gave Clarkson all the space it needed to secure the lead, as two further power-play goals broke the game open during the first 10-and-a-half minutes of the second period. The Tigers struggled to respond offensively, as they only managed six and eight shots in the second and third periods, respectively. Freshman goalie Colton Phinney registered 27 saves on 30 shots.

The Tigers experienced misfortune on Saturday in a 5-0 loss to St. Lawrence (13-16-4, 7-11-4), marking a similarly dull performance to the 7-1 loss they suffered against the Saints at Baker Rink on Feb. 7. While the Tigers were only outshot 9-6 during the opening period, St. Lawrence found the back of the net twice in the opening four minutes of the game. Senior netminder Sean Bonar came in for relief and put up 36 saves, but the Saints still found the net on him once in the first period and twice in the second. St. Lawrence’s defense stood tall against the Tigers, as they only allowed Princeton to take eight shots over the last 40 minutes of play.

The Tigers have not seen the last of Clarkson, however, as they will return to Potsdam this weekend for the first round of the ECAC Tournament.

Women Fall to Cornell in ECAC Quarters

The women’s hockey team finished the regular season on a high note with a gutsy 4-3 victory on the road against then-No. 3 Cornell. But the Tigers (14-13-4 overall, 10-9-3 ECAC) were unable to repeat their performance in Ithaca this weekend, as the Tigers fell in straight games to lose in the quarterfinals of the ECAC Tournament to Cornell.

The Tigers looked like they were on the fast track to victory in the opening game of the best-of-three series Friday night in Ithaca, as they led the Big Red (22-5-4, 15-4-3) 2-0 after two periods of play. On a five-to-three power play, the Tigers’ senior forward Sally Butler found the back of the net at 7:47 in the second period, and freshman forward Hillary Lloyd followed suit 25 seconds later to give the Tigers the two-goal advantage. But a three-goal spree over a seven-minute span during the third period gave Cornell the comeback victory in front of the home crowd to take a 1-0 lead in the series.

Saturday night started out in the same fashion as Friday night, as Butler put the Tigers on the board first just five minutes into the first period. While Princeton held a 1-0 lead heading into the first intermission, they would lose it just 2:19 into the second period, as Cornell’s Morgan Richardson found the net on an unassisted goal. A Big Red goal late in the period gave Cornell the lead at the second intermission, with Princeton now having the chance to perform third-period heroics. But goals by senior forward Denna Laing and freshman forward Cassidy Tucker were not enough for the Tigers, as Cornell scored three more goals in the final period to solidify its spot in the ECAC Semifinal this coming weekend.