Letter to the Editor: March 9, 2014

To the Editors:

We are writing in response to your March 5editorial, “Transparency regarding mental health forced withdrawals.”

University Health Services and the Office of the Dean of Undergraduate Students work closely with campus partners, including residential college staff and the Office of Disability Services, to mitigate student health and safety risks through support services on and off campus. We have a comprehensive array of accessible, responsive and well-utilized services, which have received high levels of satisfaction in student surveys.

Our missions are based on removing obstacles to student success. We use all available resources to help students stay in school even as they may be going through very difficult times. Most students are able to use this help and thrive in school without needing to withdraw.

However, there are very rare instances where the University's support network cannot meet the intensive needs of a student and the student’s danger to himself or herself remains extremely high. In these situations, students require a different and more comprehensive level of care that is not consistent with staying in school. The University's policies regarding voluntary and involuntary withdrawal describe how these rare, sensitive and difficult situations may be approached. As theUndergraduate Announcement states, in part:

“Princeton provides a range of support services to address the medical and mental health needs of students within the context of the campus community. On occasion, students may experience health needs requiring a level of care that exceeds what the University can appropriately provide. In such circumstances, some students may be advised to consider a voluntary withdrawal. In situations where a student is unable or unwilling to carry out substantial self-care obligations or presents a substantial risk of self-harm or harm to others, and the student declines to voluntarily withdraw, the dean of undergraduate students has the authority to place the student on an involuntary withdrawal. Such decisions may be appealed in writing to the vice president of campus life.”

During our years at the University, we have seen staff taking every possible measure to keep students in school safely and able to complete their academic requirements. Individual situations are unique, and every circumstance and factor known to the University is considered on an individual basis.

The Editorial Board is right to be concerned about inaccurate and unintended messages that deter students from accessing necessary mental health care. Our advice to students who may be struggling or have fears about what will happen if they seek help is this: There is no better way to get accurate information about Princeton’s support services and policies than going right to the source. Schedule a meeting with your director of student life. Talk to your residential college adviser. Make an appointment at Counseling and Psychological Services with a clinician or the director. Make an appointment with the UHS director. Please engage the resources that are here for you. There are many highly trained staff members at Princeton who want the very best for students who are struggling with mental health concerns.

Michael Olin

Associate Dean of Undergraduate Students

John Kolligian

Executive Director, University Health Services