Man indicted for death of former CJL director

A Princeton man has been indicted for allegedly causing the death of former Executive Director of the Center for Jewish Life Rabbi James Diamond in March.

Eric Maltz, 21, was indicted on charges of aggravated manslaughter, death by auto and assault by auto, the Mercer County Prosecutor’s Office announced Thursday.

His lawyer, Robert Lytle, declined to comment on the case, saying only that it was “a tragic case on many levels” and that it is ultimately “up to the courts to decide” what is fair in this case.

Maltz could face up to 30 years in state prison if convicted of first-degree aggravated manslaughter.

Diamond, a Conservative rabbi, was a director at the CJL from 1995 to 2004.

Maltz was allegedly driving a 2003 BMW at a high speed when he struck an unoccupied, parked Toyota Camry at the intersection of Riverside Drive and Prospect Avenue, about one mile away from campus. The Camry was pushed, hitting a parked Toyota Prius that Diamond was preparing to enter. The Prius was pushed back as well and landed across the street, striking a tree.

Rabbi Robert Freedman, a former cantor at the CJL, was in the driver’s seat of the Prius and sustained several injuries. Maltz also sustained injuries. Diamond was pronounced dead at the scene.

Maltz has a history of encounters with the Princeton Township police, Princeton Patch reported in May. Just a week before the March incident, Maltz’s father, Gary Maltz, called the police, who responded and entered the home to find Maltz’s room trashed. According to a police report obtained by Patch, Maltz mentioned having taken the drug Lamictal as a mood stabilizer and the drug Zoloft as an antidepressant.

In addition, Maltz had also had undisclosed run-ins with the police when he was a juvenile, Patch reported.

Judith Diamond, Rabbi Diamond’s widow, and Freedman could not be reached for comment as of press time.

Maltz is currently free after posting a $100,000 bail, the Prosecutor’s Office announcement said.