Princeton takes down undefeated Dartmouth in Hanover

20130929_MSOCCER_MaryHui_0041
20130929_MSOCCER_MaryHui_0041

After Dartmouth went up 1-0 before the half, the men’s soccer team fought back and put up two goals in under 10 minutes. Sophomore forward Thomas Sanner’s fifth goal of the season and junior forward Cameron Porter’s subsequent header gave the Tigers (3-5 overall, 1-0 Ivy League) an advantage that would hold for the rest of the competition.

It was the first loss of the season for the Big Green (4-1-4, 0-1), which had played five double-overtime games before Saturday’s match but had won or tied all of them.

Princeton was in control for much of the game, outshooting Dartmouth 12-2 on the day. Indeed, while the Tigers had taken five shots, the Big Green had not taken any until the 40thminute, when Alex Adelabu’s shot got past senior goalie Seth MacMillan to put Dartmouth up.

Dartmouth went into the half with the lead despite having taken just one shot, but its offense, which has not put up more than three goals in a game all season, could not create many scoring opportunities. Dartmouth had taken no shots in the second half when Sanner sent a rebound from senior midfielder/defender Patrick O’Neil into the back of the net.

Just over seven minutes later, a play started by senior midfielder/defender Billy McGuiness connected with junior midfielder Joe Saitta. Saitta sent the ball to Porter, who headed it into the net as Dartmouth’s goalie came out too far to block it.

After that, the Big Green failed to capitalize on consecutive corner kicks, and Alexander Marsh’s shot with two minutes left went wide, giving the Tigers a victory in their Ivy opener.

Other than Adelabu’s goal, MacMillan did not face much pressure —he did not even have another opportunity to make a save.

Though its overall record is unimpressive compared to the rest of the league, Princeton has now defeated the last undefeated team remaining in the Ancient Eight and will look to improve to 2-0 in league play when it travels to Brown on Saturday. The Tigers will host Drexel Tuesday night at 7 p.m. in Roberts Stadium.