N&N: Slaughter '80, Schmidt '76, Steinberg '99: universities are slow, old-fashioned

Three highly-placed University alumni spoke openly against the conventional college education system in a public discussion hosted by the New America Foundation. Eric Schmidt 76 and Anne-Marie Slaughter 80 discussed the problems of the higher education system in an onstage conversation on Sept. 13.

Schmidt, the executive chairman of Google and a former trustee of the University, serves as chairman of the NAF. Slaughter, former dean of theWilson School and State Department official whose 2012 article in The Atlantic "Why Women Still Can't Have it All" sparked a nationwide discussion about work/family balance, is its president.

“They never actually do anything,” Schmidt said of colleges and universities, citing their characteristically slow deliberation of issues. In particular, he cited the years the University has spent deliberating whether to change its academic calendar, Bloomberg reported.

Slaughter speculated that, with the rise of online educations, the best teachers in higher education would leave traditional universities to teach massive open online courses.

“We can become global teachers. The best people can become free agents," Slaughter said. “They’re going to lose their top talent."

Jon Steinberg 99, the president and chief operating officer of online media hub BuzzFeed and a former opinion columnist for The Daily Princetonian, was in the audience. He said he didn't think his children would need to go to college.

“I don’t want my kids to go to college unless they desperately want to be scholars," Steinberg said.