Opinion: Reunions and the Bubble

Reunions can appear like the epitome of Orange Bubble ambivalence and insularity. Thousands of alumni gather for what seems like the sole purpose of partying and reliving their youth, safely enclosed within the Princeton campus.

And while Reunions can becriticized for its excess,it doesn’t perpetuate the Bubble as much as it may seem.

In a lot of ways, Reunions bursts the Orange Bubble. Alumni of all ages stream into campus with their families, uniting the college-age student body and Class of 2013 with Princetonians and company ages one to 100. The University hosts panels and forums on current topics of national and international interest, from affordable health care to the U.S. judicial confirmation process to international entrepreneurship — and alumni share their real world experiences.Today at “We <3 Princeton: Stories From the Street,” students and alumni can learn about the history of different streets in town at a reception and tour at the Historical Society of Princeton.

During this weekend, Princeton actually seems more engaged with the outside world than it sometimes does during the academic year. Even though it takes place within the Bubble, Reunions provides an opportunity to remember that there is a world beyond graduation, beyond campus and beyond town.