All the small things

The University's commitment to teaching undergraduates means you'll interact with top professors, even in introductory classes. One perennial favorite is Eric Wieschaus, a Nobel Laureate in medicine who teaches introductory molecular biology and is known to act out cellular processes during his lectures. (You have to see it to understand how that's possible.) And Joshua Katz, a professor of linguistics and classics, will tell you where you're from after listening to you speak just a few words. If you're in his class, he'll know your name and remember it years later. If you thought you missed the opportunity to take a class with Toni Morrison, fear not! She retired, but she's coming back next year by popular demand to teach a class on the literature of dispossession.

There are also many opportunities to interact with faculty outside of class. Students who took ECO 200: Advanced Principles of Economics: Concepts and Applications this past fall met John Nash GS '50, the mathematician and economics Nobel Laureate, when he came to give a guest lecture on game theory. Following class, students chatted with Nash over lunch.

If you're in the mood for hanging out with friends, the Murray-Dodge Cafe offers free tea and freshly baked cookies from 10p.m. to 12:30 a.m. every night. It's a great place to relax and chat with friends or enjoy a game of Jenga, Pictionary or backgammon. There are also events throughout the year that bring the Princeton community together. The annual Princeton dodgeball tournament brings thousands of students representing a multitude of student groups together at Dillon Gym. This year there is a make-your-own uniform requirement, which could prove quite a spectacle. Lawnparties bring performers such as Eve 6 and Rihanna to campus and are open to the entire student body.

When you return to your room and realize that you have laundry to do and readings to print, you needn't worry about looking for quarters. Laundry and printing are free. And when it's time to write papers, you'll appreciate our libraries. Princeton has miles of open stacks to browse and a large staff of specialized librarians ready to help, even if that means borrowing from a library tucked away in the Swiss Alps.

Finally, we couldn't forget Charlie, the card-swiper at the Mathey Dining Hall. He loves talking to students, and he'll know your name after a single encounter. For his long service to the University, he was granted an honorary degree last year.

There's much more that we appreciate about Princeton that we couldn't write in this space. But if you come to Princeton, you'll soon realize that the hundreds of little things that Princeton does right add up to an unparalleled educational experience.