Students aren't alone in appreciating Deignan

Regarding 'Deignan's dedication to Princeton is unparalleled' (Letter, April 29):

It is pleasing to read a defense of Kathleen Deignan, dean of undergraduate students, by one of the most thoughtful students I have had the privilege to teach here at Princeton, former USG president Joe Kochan '02. Of course good people make mistakes and of course what's been at issue over the past week is not Dean Deignan's overall character, but simply whether she ought to have ordered the seizure of Newman's Day t-shirts.

Whatever one may think of her action — and I don't mind saying that I have trouble understanding how anyone could fail to see both sides of the issue — it is important for readers of the 'Prince' to know that Deignan is one of the most consistently careful, compassionate and hardworking people at Princeton.

Kochan writes, "There are many students — both current and former — who can repeat and enhance my claims."

Not just students. Joshua T. Katz Assistant professor of classics

Will Hanukkah be the next Princeton safety casualty?

Regarding 'Appel condemns seizure of Newman's Day shirts' (April 27):

I agree that the confiscation of Newman's Day t-shirts was blatantly wrong. Dean Deignan's claim that the restriction of the "promotion of drinking games" was a logical extrapolation of a violation concerning the serving of alcohol to encourage excessive drinking is a clear misinterpretation of the difference between advocacy and incitement.

The Supreme Court has held that while incitement of illegal actions deserves no First Amendment protection, the advocacy of any idea, regardless of its legality, morality or popularity, merits the full protection of the freedom of speech.

Essentially, Deignan is prohibiting a student from advertising a campus event that may result in some other students violating a University regulation.

If we applied her reasoning to another conduct violation, the restriction on the burning of candles in University buildings, Public Safety would have justification to prohibit any speech or communication advertising or promoting Hanukah for fear that Jewish students might light a menorah.

I understand Deignan was trying to maintain the safety of the University community, but to do so by limiting speech rights sets a dangerous precedent. Scott Daubin '05