Lack of dialog in campus divestment rallies

I got two notifications about the Princeton Divestment demonstration last Thursday (April 18) — one for the rally, and one for the counter-rally. One came through my CJL connections, the other through my interest in progressive events. Either one alone would have been enough to get me to attend, so I headed over to Frist around noon to see what would be said, what issues would come up, and how much support each side would have. Admittedly, I was unsure about which "side" I was on (and I still am).

The pro-Israel counter-rally was the first group I encountered as I rode my bike through Prospect Garden to Frist, and I heard one of their leaders speaking to the crowd about the right and necessity of Israeli force in response to suicide bombing and other forms of Palestinian terrorism. He spoke well and with passion, and the show of solidarity was, I thought, moving. Supporters held signs with slogans like "Self-Defense is not Apartheid," "End Terrorism Now," "Arafat is no Nelson Mandela," etc. Overall, a significant showing on behalf of the Israeli cause.

Then I rode a few more feet so that I was standing behind the Divestment supporters. On this side of the sidewalk, signs read "Occupation is not Self-Defense," "End Israeli Occupation," "Why does Israel bomb schools, hospitals?" etc. The speakers, who included students and professors, spoke about the American ideals of democracy and freedom which are threatened by America's immoral support of Israel. Comparisons were made between Israel and South Africa during Apartheid. Supporters waved their signs, applauded speakers' particularly impassioned calls for divestment, and a couple supporters engaged in one-on-one arguments with the opposition. The spirit of solidarity was strong here too.

As I watched, I was standing behind the lines of ralliers. My physical position outside the crowd probably enhanced my capacity to step out of the exclusive ideology and emotion of both sides. And suddenly it occurred to me that the whole scene was, more than anything else, utterly depressing. I realized that there was no communication going on, no dialogue. The two sides weren't listening to each other. Both sides came to preach to their own supporters about their cause and to show their side's solidarity and support. At one point, the pro-Israel side started singing Hatikvah (Israeli national anthem) while a speaker on the other side was saying his piece. I'm not criticizing the display of Israeli support, but its timing. Neither side paid attention to the other side's speakers. Don't get me wrong — I understand the reasoning and justification behind both the rally and the counter-rally. Individually, they do make sense and I have to be careful about exactly how I take issue with the situation.

What I saw that day in the protests outside Frist was a microcosm of the same conflict, albeit much less violent, and a lack of communication that is at the heart of the Israel/Palestine crisis. The two sides are not even on the same page, and they don't seem to care to make the effort to sustain a dialogue about the core issues. If two groups of educated, intelligent, democratic, free Princeton students can't communicate, how can we expect entire communities of Israelis and Palestinians to come to an agreement?

My point is not to take issue with these rallies in and of themselves but to criticize the context and frame of mind that calls for rallies instead of negotiations. The same framework is operating in Israel now, but in addition to rallies there are bombings and military strikes. And I know there are students and members of our community interested in bringing the debate to a new level — or I should say, creating an actual debate rather than a series of unilateral rallies. To all of you of similar mind, I say let's get organized. I'm willing to discuss my views, but more importantly, I'm willing to listen to the views of others.

To the protesters and anyone interested in peace, I ask: Do you want to be a positive force for change, especially for the Middle East conflict? Or do you want to continue to foster an environment of isolated, entrenched conflicting opinions? Do you want to work toward a solution, or do you want to prove how far out of reach any peaceful solution is? If you genuinely want peace, then just for a moment at least, stop preaching your dogma, put down your picket signs, and LISTEN to each other. You may be pleasantly surprised at how intelligent and right your "opponent" is. You might also find that even couching the situation in "opponent/supporter" terminology makes a peaceful solution impossible.

Wouldn't that be something, if instead of engaging in divisive protest rallies, we actually set a positive example for Israel and Palestine by coming together to discuss our different perspectives on these polarizing issues? Couldn't we, by listening to each other, find some common ground and maybe even a solution? Or am I just naïve, idealistic and impractical? If you're angry or inspired (or both) by what I've said, please do let me know your reaction rather than keeping it to yourself.

I assure you, I'm listening. David Segal is a classics major from Houston, TX. He can be reached at dsegal@princeton.edu.