During trying times, a trial for American Democracy

The lines are clearly drawn in the argument over the use of military tribunals against terrorist suspects. Those favoring President Bush's plan speak of national security, while those opposed refer to human rights. There is no common ground in the debate because it revolves around one issue that the remonstrators do not seem to recognize: the question of citizenship.

Defendants of Bush's policy do not understand the opposition to their plans. "Don't worry!" the wide-eyed supporters say. "We're only jailing and prosecuting non-citizens!" And just what has one done to earn this reward of citizenship? For the majority of us, those who have American parents, nothing. Supposedly we make a few weak commitments — to pay taxes, to obey the laws, to perform jury duties — but not every citizen has performed these tasks, nor will they.

We like to innocently think of America as the Great Meritocracy in which hard work leads to success, yet the tyrants have made it clear that this country is exclusive. It might be helpful to remember at this point that, except for Native Americans, we all have an immigrant heritage. America's success and heritage has been built on the back of immigrant labor and innovation, yet in our mood of fear and suspicion we are strengthening a weak notion of citizenship based on nothing other than privilege and holding no qualification standards once it is inherited.

Defending the military tribunals in an 'us versus them' context appears increasingly ludicrous as one begins to ponder the nature and origins of our citizenship. We tell Russians to stop fighting Chechyna; we instruct Bosnians and Croatians to live in peace; we order Israelis and Palestinians to find harmony. "Why can't y'all just get along?" drawls Uncle Sam. But we fail to apply the same notions of humanity, equality and justice that we force on others to ourselves.

Defenders of the use of military tribunals further claim that our court system cannot handle these cases; they fear that the trials will become a media frenzy in which incendiary lawyers perform legal stunts on the "Bin Laden" television station. Juries would have difficulty making fair and quick judgements, they argue, and no acceptable method exists for handling classified information.

If the judicial process cannot undertake such trials, then instead of running away from our legal establishments we should be examining how we can improve the system. Times of challenge and strain offer democracies a chance to test their systems, yet we are showing the international community that we would rather abandon our institutions than make any attempts to progress.

The turn to military tribunals by order of the executive office is merely one instance in the president's aggressive seizure of power. Congress is no longer consulted, and John Ashcroft has made it clear that if you question his decisions you "only aid terrorists."

The military campaign has turned into a glorification of Bush. The goal is victory not in the war against terrorism but in the next presidential election. Since the Republicans know that Islamic fundamentalism will not end by 2004, they have diligently created the illusion that Osama bin Laden is the mastermind behind a terrorist network and that with his fall the Islamic fundamentalists will receive a devastating blow. Are we truly to believe that one man sitting in Afghanistan holds the controls to a worldwide network? That terror will end with his capture? The defeat of the Taliban has received small headlines in the newspapers; just wait until they get bin Laden, then you'll taste victory. Rather than focusing its money and resources on capturing the mythic mastermind, the government should adopt a more balanced and long-term attack against terrorism, starting by turning its attention and finances toward homeland security and Mideast peace.

In times of crisis, democracies reveal their true nature. Unfortunately, our shameful national character has emerged as exclusive, hypocritical and tyrannical. Nathan Arrington is an art and archaeology major from Westport, Conn. He can be reached at arington@princeton.edu.