Letters to the Editor

An appropriate and necessary response to terrorist attacks

Anger, above my sadness, confusion and frustration about the events that transpired on Sept. 11, calls upon me to respond with this letter.

I have always felt invincible as an American. That I was safe from everyone and everything simply based on my nationality. I no longer feel that way. In fact, I feel more vulnerable than ever before. This feeling of vulnerability has stirred in me the desire for the following response: I agree completely with President Bush's statement that the terrorists and those that harbor them should not and will not be treated differently as plans for retaliation are considered.

There was a peace vigil on campus the evening of Sept. 11. I did not participate. I do not believe that this is a time for peace. I am completely in support of total retaliation — out of necessity more than desire.

I believe that if Afghanistan chooses not to cooperate and aid the United States in turning Osama bin Laden over, we should attack Afghanistan. I know many people have been sending out chain e-mails from an Afghan who is concerned that innocent people will die if the United States attacks Afghanistan. I agree that innocent people should not die. Therefore, the United States should give Afghanistan an opportunity to cooperate — should they choose not to, I expect the United States to respond with a full-fledged and well-executed military attack. There was a march for peace on campus last Friday. I refused to participate. If America does not respond with the use of our extensive military capabilities and allows the attacks of Sept. 11 to 'slide,' I will feel ashamed to be an American. If our NATO friends support us in theory, but not in any actual productive and useful manner regarding this issue, I will lose respect for them as well. I think that Article 5 of the NATO charter is very clearly stated, and I expect military and financial support from our 'friends' when it comes time for retaliation.

The unique circumstances of this tragic act of terrorism present America with the opportunity to set an example for the world by responding appropriately and justly. I think that we as Americans need to reestablish ourselves in the world system and make it very clear that we will not tolerate events such as those that occurred on Sept. 11. A call for peace would merely confirm for the perpetrators that America is not only easily penetrable but also weak in our response to the attacks. This confirmation would damage America's role in the international realm to the extent that we cannot afford. My grandmother recently pointed out that our enemy is well-organized, resourceful, well-financed and fanatic to the point that we must eradicate its network one cell at a time. When Osama bin Laden is in our hands, we will know that we have succeeded in our first, and far from final, victory over the evil that is terrorism. Until then I know this feeling of vulnerability will continue to eat away inside of me, as I am sure it likewise torments many other Americans. To all those who campaign for peace at a time like this, I say to them, the war has already begun. Courtney Homan-Jones '04