Trustees honor Shapiro with professorship

After 13 years of service to the University, President Shapiro and his wife, Vivian, were honored by the University community and board of trustees during a farewell dinner on Friday.

"Friday night was a very emotional evening," said University Vice President and Secretary Thomas Wright '62, who has served at the University for nearly 30 years and is one of Shapiro's top advisers. "Trustees and former trustees, along with people who worked here came back for the dinner."

Attended by more than 180 people, the celebration dinner was highlighted by Robert Rawson '66, chairman of the board of trustees, announcing an endowed professorship in Harold Shapiro's name, the naming of the Frist Cafe for Vivian Shapiro and the dedication of a walkway for the couple.

"To commemorate your vision for the future of Princeton's historic educational mission, we will create the Harold T. Shapiro GS '64 Professorship of Economics," said Rawson during the dinner, according to a University press release.

"We believe it is most fitting that this chair will strengthen the distinguished department that first drew you to Princeton and reflects not only your love of teaching, but also your determination to keep Princeton's faculty at the forefront of research and scholarship," he added.

The cafe will soon bear Vivian Shapiro's name in honor of her role in "drawing the community closer," Rawson said.

The extension of McCosh walk from Washington Road to the engineering school will be named for the couple.

Shapiro is expected to complete his tenure as University president at the end of this semester, though he will return to full-time teaching at the University after taking a short leave of absence.