Letters to the Editor

Amnesty chapter begins petition campaign

On the evening of Feb. 25 Chinese authorities detained Li Shaomin GS 88 as he was crossing into China from Hong Kong, where he works as an associate professor of marketing at the City University of Hong Kong. Li, a naturalized U.S. citizen who earned a Ph.D. in sociology from Princeton, is still being detained, although Chinese officials have refused to disclose where or why. Li's detention follows several other incidents in which Chinese-born scholars who are either citizens or permanent residents of the United States have been detained or harassed in China on hazy security grounds.

On Li's behalf, Princeton's chapter of Amnesty International is starting a petition to the Chinese Government. The petition asks that it disclose the reasons for and location of his detainment — that is, it demands a complete and public inquiry into the case, and, in the event that he is being detained solely for political reasons, asks to have Li be released. We urge you to come to the cafe level of Frist during the International Festival today, Thursday, from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. and 7-9 p.m. to sign this petition in support of a fellow Princetonian. Kate Jordan '03

'Prince' insults by making an apology

I'm a little disappointed that you felt it necessary to print the David Horowitz ad with an editorial decidedly apologetic in tone. The subtext of your editorial is that you do not believe Princeton students to be sufficiently mature and intellectually open to accept the ad calmly. Why didn't you take the risk that we Princetonians would behave as responsible citizens without coaching? Ray Yang '03

'Prince' skillfully handled Horowitz ad

I want to commend the 'Prince' staff on its well-reasoned and thoughtful position on the David Horowitz ad. I believe you have admirably upheld the standards of both Princeton and a free press while justly framing the issues and attempting to defuse the message and impact of the unfortunate ad. I further applaud your decision to contribute the proceeds from the ad to the National Urban League. Jay Gary Finkelstein '75