Rookie coach, experienced lineup lead softball

The softball team has won the Ivy Championship a total of 12 times. The last time the team wore the crown, however, was in 1996.

Though this season brings a few changes to the program, the Tigers are determined to make it 13.

While the softball team (2-0-0) does not have to face numerous gaps in its roster from last year's graduation, it must adapt to an entirely new coaching staff.

Fortunately for the Tigers, a familiar face will be heading the program. Maureen Davies '97 is replacing former head coach Cindy Cohen, who resigned after last season to become the assistant athletic director at Rochester.

Cohen coached the Tigers to all 12 Ivy titles, three of which Davies pitched. Davies, who still holds Princeton records in shutouts, strikeouts and innings pitched in a career, has extensive experience with Princeton softball over the years. Last year she served as the Tigers' assistant coach.

"This year we have a whole new team outlook," senior catcher Devon Keefe said. "It gives us new everything, new life to the team."

Standbys

The coaching staff may be new, but the squad is returning all but one player.

Only losing one player to graduation, pitcher Sarah Peterman '00, Princeton will look to junior pitchers Brianne Galicinao, Dana Fraser and Sarah Jane White to replace Peterman. Freshmen Wendy Bingham and Kelly Gaydos should also see some time on the mound. With an experienced pitcher like Davies at the helm, however, the Tigers should not have difficulty filling Peterman's void.

Behind the mound in the infield are junior Kim Veenstra at shortstop, senior Amanda Haines at first, sophomore Mackenzie Forsythe at second and senior Lauren Poniatowski at third.

In contrast to the infield of veterans, Princeton's outfield will most likely be a combination of under and upperclassmen. The Tigers will be looking to senior Lori Volker, sophomore Anna Soper and Bingham to provide them with a solid defense in outfield.

Bashers

Offensively, the Tigers are in good shape, since last season's big hitters will be back to play. The team will be relying on Poniatowski, Galicinao, Veenstra and Keefe to drive in runs.

"It is very early in the season and with respect to our starting lineup, each day the best nine players for that game will be in the lineup," Davies said. "We have a lot of depth this year, with 19 players on our roster, and at this point, nothing is set in stone. However, we are led by two strong classes of juniors and seniors."

Princeton will be able to work on its lineup over Spring Break when it is slated to play eight games. The Tigers will begin the weekend in Princeton, taking on Villanova Saturday. For the rest of the week the team will be playing in Atlanta, Ga., along with teams from Auburn, Mercer, Georgia State, Charleston Southern, UConn, Maryland and Troy State.

"I'm really excited about Spring Break," Keefe said. " I can't wait to get on the field and play a lot against some tough teams. This will definitely put us in a good state, it will allow us to grow together as a team. I can't wait to go out there and see where we stand."

The Tigers are already in good standing after turning in solid victories at the Terrapin Invitational in College Park, Md., March 3. In its opening weekend Princeton topped Fairfield, 1-0, and crushed LaSalle, 12-3.

"There is no question about it, this team has great chemistry," Davies said. "The freshmen have not only added depth and energy, but they have fit right in with the team."