Presidential search proceeds on schedule

While Harvard University announced its 27th president on Sunday, Princeton's presidential search is proceeding on schedule, University Vice President and Secretary Thomas Wright '62 told the Council of the Princeton University Community yesterday.

"After an exhaustive search process in which the committee sought advice from members of the University community," Wright said, "the committee is now in the process of narrowing down and is proceeding in a confidential manner."

"The committee is still proceeding on schedule and expects it can achieve its objective and announce [a recommendation] in the spring," Wright added.

Wright stressed that confidentiality continues to be an integral part of the University's search. Unlike Harvard's process, in which the names of candidates were publicized in the national media, Princeton will not make any names public until a decision is made, he said.

Criticizing Harvard's process, Wright said he believes that the Harvard search "seems to be very messy and unfortunate," adding, "I think we feel very strongly about [confidentiality]."

Though Princeton's search has not drawn the same attention as Harvard's search did, Wright maintained that this was a decidedly positive feature of the University's process.

"There is no regret whatsoever that the process here at Princeton isn't proceeding in that way," Wright said.

GSG president Lauren Hale, a member of the search committee, criticized Harvard's process and said she believes Princeton is handling the process adeptly.

The CPUC meeting also addressed concerns of graduate students regarding transportation, "post enrollment" and student health care.

University Planning Director Jon Hlafter '61 gave a 35-minute presentation on the proposal to redirect University Place. The move, according to Hlafter, would allow for further incorporation of Forbes College and the Graduate College into the central campus.