Worker's rights group raises awareness at 'Street'

Posters and buttons distributed by the Workers Rights Organizing Committee last night gave a swift reminder to students heading out to Prospect Avenue of some of the realities the group claims are faced by Princeton's low-wage workers.

Members of WROC said they hoped the posters, which lined the gates of various eating clubs, would give a new perspective on the issue. Some flyers even stated, "WROC: Because Princeton workers clean up your vomit."

WROC is a group organized by undergraduate and graduate students concerned about the University's treatment of its workers. In last night's push to increase student awareness of its goals, the committee sent its members into each of the eating clubs to hand out nearly 1,000 buttons bearing the line, "WROC: I support Princeton's Workers."

"We're trying to show the University that students do indeed care about Princeton's workers," said Narin Dickerson '03, one of the event's organizers.

Terrace Club acted as last night's "command center" because of connections between club members and WROC participants. According to Terrace president Clay Whitehead '02, the club supports "fostering cooperation between the 'Street' and student organizations." He added that members were enthusiastic about allowing WROC to use club space.

In addition to giving out buttons, WROC members answered questions about the group's objectives at an information table at Terrace.

Posters were also hung in Tower Club and Colonial Club, and committee members visited the rest of the clubs, discussing WROC's concerns with fellow students.

"We knew that at the 'Street' we would have a captive audience," said group member Naomi Dunson '03. "People were definitely going to come."

David Tannenbaum '01, one of WROC's leaders, explained that WROC members also chose the 'Street' as a place to reach students because they wanted to "integrate the campaign into everyday life because the janitors themselves are integrated into everyday life."

The buttons, Tannenbaum said, were a way to provide a "continuous reminder of how the University mistreats its lowest-paid workers."

Founded this fall, WROC has targeted a number of issues concerning University workers' rights. It actively is seeking to improve the low wages and poor benefits the group believes the University pays to some employees.

The group has also questioned the outsourcing of University labor to companies that pay lower salaries to workers and the overuse of part-time workers who receive lower wages with no benefits or job security.

One of WROC's greatest concerns is that the wealth of the University has not been reflected in the working conditions and salaries of its employees.

"It's primarily a moral issue," Tannenbaum said. "The low-wage workers are simply not getting fair treatment. For us that is wrong."

Last night's button campaign was a "prelude to other activities," Tannenbaum said. He said that after a meeting Thursday with University administrators, he felt the University was not planning to change its current worker policy. In response, WROC decided to step up its physical presence on campus.

No official plans have been announced, but with a large number of alumni slated to return to campus next weekend for Alumni Weekend festivities, more WROC events should be expected, Tannenbaum said.

Prospect Avenue provided an auspicious beginning. As the night got later and white buttons began to appear on more students' shirts, reactions were positive.

"I was glad to see [the buttons] because I think that workers' rights need to be discussed at Princeton," said Anna Evans '03, who wore a button all night.

Tannenbaum said he was pleased with the results.

"It was great to see how receptive and supportive people were," he said. "I only wish that the University would be as selfless as many of the students out at the 'Street' last night."