Considering the impact of Arafat after the Israeli election

I am writing in response to Sun Jung Kim's Feb. 9 article "Campus split on impact of Sharon victory." The tone of this article reflected much of the coverage by the 'Prince,' and local opinion, of the Israeli-Arab issue since the beginning of the most recent violence.

The image that is projected is that all the Jews on campus are unified in opposition to the Arab students on campus. Besides the fact that this is simply untrue, it is unnecessarily inflammatory, giving the impression that instead of being able to be friends with each other on campus, we are acting like our elder counterparts and sniping at each other in word and deed. I have been a supporter of the peace process since the early days of Oslo and have weathered the arguments with my friends and colleagues about its untenable nature. Following this, I feared the election of Sharon and continue to fear the possibilities of what this rightward shift might mean.

However, I am inclined to agree with New York Times columnist Tom Friedman's analysis of late. In his Feb. 8 article, "Sharon, Arafat and Mao," Friedman poses the important question that we should be asking. Instead of "Who is Sharon and what will he do?" we should ask, "Who is Arafat and what can he do?" Yassar Arafat has shunned several Israeli offers over the last few months that conceded more to him and the Palestinians than could ever be hoped for under Oslo. He accuses Israel of "fascist military aggression" yet cannot suspend the violence being committed by his own people for long enough to negotiate a settlement with Israel. I look forward to peace and all that it entails, but have begun to ask, "Who is Israel's partner in peace?" Unilateral Israeli concessions are not a road to peace.