Men's and women's fencing cruise through weekend

The men's and women's fencing teams had meets tucked awkwardly into their reading period schedules. Fortunately for both teams, their opponents did not cause them to lose much sleep.

In competition Saturday morning, the men's team topped Stevens Tech, 18-9, while the women's team handled City College of New York with even more ease, prevailing 22-5 at Jadwin Gym.

Sabre competition provided the entire margin of victory for the men's squad. Behind an assortment of Tigers that included seven different fencers, Princeton took all nine sabre bouts.

In the absence of freshman epee Soren Thompson, who was competing in the Junior Olympics during the weekend, Stevens Tech took the epee, 7-2. Princeton kept the meet even with a 7-2 win in the foil, behind senior Dustin Reagan's 3-0 performance.

The women's team took all three weapons against CCNY, behind 3-0 sweeps by senior Kristiina Hurme, junior Mary Dunlop and freshman Simran Winkelstern that gave Princeton a 9-0 win in the epee.

Another epee, sophomore Jennifer Golia, joined the foil squad for the meet while fellow sophomore Mindy Rostal spent the weekend competing elsewhere. Despite using an unfamiliar weapon, Golia took two of her three bouts to give Princeton a 7-2 win in the weapon.

CCNY was the strongest in the sabre, but Princeton still emerged the winner. Senior Amanda Jones led the Tigers to a 6-3 win with her own 3-0 sweep.

Having polished off their easier opponents, both fencing teams can now begin gearing up for the crucial segments of their seasons that begin in February.