Questions and Answers with wrestling's Ryan Bonfiglio

Ryan Bonfiglio is a senior on the wrestling team in the 165-lb. weight class. He recently sat down with Princetonian contributor Ross Mazo.

Prince: What did you think of the [45-0] Minnesota match [this weekend]?

Ryan Bonfiglio: It was a great experience to wrestle the best team in the country, but on the other hand, it was a tough experience. They are one of the best teams in the country and it shows. Up and down the lineup, they were bigger, stronger and faster.

P: How did you feel about wrestling Minnesota's senior All-American, Brad Pike, [and losing, 12-5]?

RB: It was great for me. My goals for the year are to be an All American and a national champion, and Pike is one of the guys I will have to beat to accomplish my goals. Even though I lost, I was not overly disappointed. I realized that the gap between Brad and me is not that big — I now know that I am capable of beating him.

P: How have you felt about the season so far?

RB: The season has gone great so far. We are doing really well and we are right where we want to be right now. Some people see the Minnesota match as a blowout, but it was closer than it looked. We now know that we have a couple of wrestlers who can compete with them. We see what the top level of wrestlers looks like, and we feel like we can be there eventually. The thing about wrestling is that you do not get any points for second place. You either win or you lose.

P: What did you wrestle before this year?

RB: My freshman and sophomore year I wrestled at 141 lbs., but I was a starter almost by default. My freshman year, there were only 12 wrestlers on the team, and that was for all 10 weight classes. But I have improved and grown a lot since then.

P: How do you feel about the quality of the team?

RB: We have a lot of great wrestlers this year. Guys like [junior] Juan Venturi and [sophomores] Joe Clarke and Greg Parker have been outstanding this year. Everyone has been great, though, and I feel bad singling them out. I watch those guys wrestle and I wish that I could have wrestled like them when I was a sophomore.

P: Tell me a little about playing lightweight football. Are you a pretty big football fan? Which is your favorite team?

RB: I always liked football, but in high school I was mostly interested in wrestling. Back then, I was wrestling at 125 lbs. I never even thought about football in high school, I was just too small. But this year, I became very interested in playing sprint football, and it was perfect for me. I played defensive tackle, and it was a lot of fun. I am a hometown fan, so I am a big fan of the Eagles. I am pumped about their success this year. They definitely embarrassed the Redskins. Last time they were good I was a senior in high school.

P: Are you a WWF fan or more of a Nitro guy?

RB: I have nothing against that wrestling, but it is kind of annoying.

Whenever I tell anyone that I am a wrestler, everyone thinks I am talking about WWF. I just wish that people knew more about college wrestling because it is a great sport. I am a big fan of college wrestling and there are a bunch of guys whose careers I have followed.

P: I know you took off a year in between your junior and senior years. What were you doing?

RB: I stayed in Princeton and I was working for the Athletes in Action program. I was not enrolled, but I was living here and training with the team. I am interested in working with Athletes in Action next year after I graduate.

P: How did you feel about the show put on during the Minnesota meet?

RB: That was hilarious. They had a spotlight, cheerleaders, and music. It was really a production. My favorite part was when Minnesota entered the gym. They ran through a big cloud of fog. It was the only time I have ever seen or been part of a match like that. It was like the football team playing in the Orange Bowl or the basketball team playing against Duke.

P: What are your goals and the goals for the team this year?

RB: I set high goals for myself, but I think they are attainable. I want to be an All American and a national champion. The team is planning on winning the Ivies. It will be tough to do, but it is possible. The [Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Association] is a great league. Lehigh is ranked seventh right now, but I think we can beat them in the EIWA championship tournament and possibly win the EIWAs as well.