Josh McCaughey and Lauren Simmons

The men's and women's indoor track teams came into this past weekend's New Year Invitational hoping to establish momentum to carry them through Winter Break and help get them ready for racing in the new calendar year. Both squads also hoped to use the meet as a chance to showcase young talent. Little could they have known that the performances put forth would exceed all expectations.

On the men's side, an extraordinary performance was turned in by freshman Josh McCaughey in the 35-lb. weight throw. McCaughey — the national high school record holder in the event — turned in a throw of more than 63 feet, breaking the meet record and taking home first place by a margin of over eight feet. The mark was good enough for NCAA provisional qualifying and makes McCaughey one of the early favorites to earn an automatic spot in the NCAA championships later this winter.

The Princeton women were not to be overshadowed, however, as a number of Tiger athletes put forth strong performances. Chief among these was the showing of junior Lauren Simmons in the 500-meter race. Simmons — last year's outdoor title holder in the 800 — recorded a time of 1 minute, 15.95 seconds in the 500, good for a meet record and a two-second victory.

With both the men and the women performing well so early in the season, things look positive for the new year and as 2001 arrives McCaughey and Simmons will surely be counted on for continued leadership.