Women's hockey looks to challenge for ECAC crown

After missing the Eastern College Athletic Conference tournament last season for the first time in seven years, the women's ice hockey team enters this season with confidence. One of the reasons: Princeton split the season series with Dartmouth last year, and the Big Green went on to the Final Four. Dartmouth, returning many of its starters, is currently the top-ranked team in the nation.

But the Tigers know they can compete with and even defeat the country's best.

"Our team right now has more depth than we've had for the last five years," head coach Jeff Kampersal '92 said. "We play Dartmouth Saturday, so that's a big benchmark for us. We respect them, but we're not afraid of them."

Princeton has already played two conference games on the road against Northeastern and Providence last weekend. The Tigers (0-1-1 overall, 0-1-1 ECAC) fell to the Huskies, 3-2, and managed a 4-4 tie with the Friars.

Potent

Princeton is strongest on offense this season, and the Tigers are led by junior center Andrea Kilbourne. The junior, who is also Princeton's captain, provides scoring for the Tigers at the most crucial times. But Princeton is very deep on offense.

"[Senior] Abbey Fox is assistant captain," Kampersal said. "She's probably been an underrated player in our league for a couple of years. "She's had an awesome year last year. She's speedy and has a lot of grit. She's a competitor, and she had a lot of points for us last year, and we hope she'll do the same thing this year.

"[Also] sophomore Nikola Holmes had a good year last year on the top line with Kilbourne and Abbey, and they're playing together now."

But the Tigers do not begin and end with their first line. Other lines, composed of many freshmen and sophomores, are expected to play solidly for Princeton.

"Juniors Melissa Deland and Jessica Fedderley provide leadership," Kampersal said. "They both work hard, and add spirit to our lineup. [In addition], our freshmen have provided depth — Susan Hobson, Lisa Rasmussen and Gretchen Anderson.

"Gretchen is on our power play — she's really skilled and good around the net, and we expect her to score some big goals for us."

Sophomores Laura Kornhauser, and Melissa Tilney, and freshman Sarah Fox add even more depth.

The Tigers' formidable offense is complemented by stingy, if inexperienced, goaltending.

"Our goaltending is as strong it has ever been," Kampersal said. "[Sophomore] Sarah Alquist and [freshman] Megan Van Beusekom have both had a game — Sarah played against Northeastern and Megan played Providence."

In front of the goalies stands a tough group of defenders, led by senior Laura Hayes and junior Aviva Grumet-Morris.

"Our defense is probably the most inexperienced part [of our team]. Hayes is a forward who has been converted back to defense," Kampersal said. "Aviva's a great one-on-one defender."

Three other defenders — junior Wanda Mason, freshman Angela Gooldy and sophomore Sarah Brownlee — each should contribute for Princeton. Brownlee's versatility also makes her a threat to score.

Specialty teams also look strong for the Tigers. The power play hopes to get into rhythm as the heart of the season approaches, and the penalty kill must continue to excel, if Princeton is to succeed.

"Our penalty killing will be a strength," Kampersal said. "We have depth at the penalty kill. On the power play, we really move the puck around well.

"The one thing we do need to work on, power play and five-on-five, is finishing around the net. That was a weakness last year. With the exception of two Harvard games, every game was a one or two-goal game."

The rest of the ECAC appears to be tougher this year, but if Princeton can play to its ability, the Tigers will be contenders all season long.

"It's been a 1-6 league in years past, and this year, it's a 1-13 league," Kampersal said. "There are no easy games on the schedule."

Saturday against Dartmouth, Princeton should discover its place in the ECAC's hierarchy.