Women's basketball still searching for first victory

Following a pair of lopsided losses to start the season, the women's basketball team finally found itself in a tight contest Saturday in the consolation game of the Beaver Classic in Corvallis, Ore. When the final buzzer sounded, however, Princeton found itself on the wrong side of the score once again as Kansas State of the Big 12 knocked off the Tigers, 63-51.

Princeton (0-3) managed to cut the Lady Wildcats' lead to just 36-33 as the first half drew to a close. Sophomore forwards Maureen Lane and Lee Culp each had 10 points heading into the intermission.

Early in the second half, Princeton remained right on the Lady Wildcats' heels, trailing, 45-41. Kansas State, however, quickly ended any Tiger hopes of a surprise win. The Lady Wildcats scored 10 unanswered points to take a 14-point advantage and Princeton never again threatened.

Scoring leaders

Kansas State eventually cruised to the victory despite the Tigers' having three players in double figures for the first time all season. Culp led Princeton with 17 points, while Lane chipped in 12. Junior forward Hillary Reser, an Oregon native, finished with 13 points. Culp finished with 10 rebounds as well to complete a double-double.

The Lady Wildcats were led by Kim Woodlee, who scored 17 points on 5-of-9 shooting from three-point range.

In their first game of the weekend Friday night, the Tigers were blown out early. Their hosts from Oregon State raced out to a commanding 14-2 lead early in the first half and then coasted into halftime with a 41-12 advantage. Princeton played the Beavers essentially on even terms in the second half, but eventually lost by a final score of 69-33. Lane's 14 points and Reser's seven rebounds were among the few bright spots for the Tigers, who committed 18 turnovers in the first half.

Felicia Ragland scored 19 points to lead Oregon State. Ragland would go on to score 13 points in the tournament final Saturday, earning Most Valuable Player honors as the Beavers trounced Wyoming, 72-55.

Omens

Since the start of the calendar year 1999, the Tigers have had a difficult time during in-season tournaments that take place away from Princeton. After winning the First Union Classic in December of 1998, the Tigers have not won a single game in an in-season tournament away from home.

Princeton lost to Northwestern and New Hampshire at the Roger L. White Invitational in Evanston, Ill., in early December, 1999. The Tigers also lost a trio of games later that month at the Ala Moana Hotels Paradise Classic in Hono-lulu.

Princeton's only win in an in-season tournament over the last season-and-a-half came at the expense of Ohio University in the Princeton Invitational on Nov. 26, 1999.

The Tigers have no more in-season tournaments on their schedule this year, however. Princeton will host Delaware on Wednesday night, travel to Lafayette on Dec. 6 and then return home to face Army on Dec. 12. The Tigers will then embark on a three-game trip in North Carolina during Winter Break.

NOTES: In the first half of the Tigers' game against Kansas State, 45 of the 69 points scored came from three-point shots. Princeton and the Lady Wildcats combined for 20 three-pointers in the game . . . The Tigers were just 2 of 17 from three-point range against Oregon State.