Men's hoops turns to Rozier-Byrd, Wente for increased production

If a gardener gouges too deeply into the shrub he cares for, he runs the risk of killing it. But if he is careful, he can remove the longest limbs and leave a healthier, more attractive plant.

Consider men's basketball head coach John Thompson '88, the new gardener who has to care for the pruning done by his predecessor. Last year's stars have been removed, so he is left with a team with a more even surface.

Whether that team can be successful or will wither away remains to be seen.

With fewer certified starters, Thompson expects more players to take the court than have done so in years past. Gone are the games like Princeton-Georgetown in the 1999 NIT tournament, when the Tigers used no subs.

Role players

In only two games this year, Princeton has used 10 players, and not only in mop-up roles. Every player on the bench has a chance to contribute heavily on this Princeton team.

Two of those players, senior forward Terrence Rozier-Byrd and sophomore guard Kyle Wente, have been around for the days of little opportunity. Wente totaled only 18 minutes last year, while Rozier-Byrd's name appeared in the box score only in routs.

This year, however, they will be regulars.

"I think this year, even when everyone is healthy, a lot of people will see playing time," Thompson said.

For Wente, this has been expected for some time. Though pushed to the background by Spencer Gloger's tardy decision-making, Wente was expected to make a major impact as a freshman. He would not have that chance, however, because an ankle injury sidelined him before serious practices could even get underway.

"We never got to see him early in the year," Rozier-Byrd said, "but towards the end, you could definitely see the potential was there."

In Princeton's season opener against Duke, Wente's role was quickly recognized. He was a steady backcourt presence on a team that was harried by bigger, faster Duke players. Although he hardly played last year, he also seemed to be capable of running the offense from the point.

"Kyle knows a lot about this offense," Rozier-Byrd said. "He's capable of contributing a lot on offense as well as defense. He has a knack for picking up steals."

"I think [his knowledge of the offense] is relative," Thompson said. "He has a great understanding for the game. He picked up as much as anyone can without being out there."

Exodus

When Wente looks up court this year, he is likely to find Rozier-Byrd patrolling the post position vacated by junior Chris Young. Although Rozier-Byrd expresses dismay at the team's summertime exodus, he admits that it has benefitted him personally.

"Basically, it was a little bit of a shock, because it was at the last minute," he says. "But I saw it as an opportunity to get more playing time. Definitely, being a competitor, you want to be out on the floor a lot more."

Rozier-Byrd's unusual shooting form is easily recognizable, often the first thing that a fan might spot when watching pregame warmups. He raises the ball above his head, then bends his arms so that the ball almost touches his hair before straightening them again to send the ball toward the basket.

This form does not make him the most accurate outside shooter on the team, but at six-feet, nine-inches, he is Princeton's biggest inside presence. He was scheduled to start at Cameron Indoor Stadium, but was scratched at the last minute because of an ankle injury.

The senior finally received his first career start last Saturday at Monmouth. He quickly collected two fouls, however, and found himself watching yet again.

But don't expect that vantage point to be common for Princeton players this year. The term depth has rarely applied to Princeton in years past because the coaches refused to reach lower on the depth chart. This year's team will not have depth for a different reason - the depth chart does not exist. All the players are on the surface, all the players will play.