Ivy League hoopsters struggling with early non-conference games

Princeton men's basketball fans were more than a bit concerned about their team's future entering this year after such a destructive offseason. Though it was against No. 2 Duke, a 37-point loss in the Tigers' first game did not do much to change the general pessimism.

But Princeton is not the only Ivy League team that has stumbled out of the blocks early this season. Every other Ivy team has done the same. In fact, thus far this year, Ivy League men's basketball teams have a combined record of 1-10.

"I think we'll contend for the championship," junior guard Ahmed El-Nokali said before the season began. Few people were quick to believe him.

Since then, however, the other Ivy teams have proven El-Nokali right.

Sluggish start

First of all, Penn, which is supposed to be the clear-cut favorite to take home the league title, is off to its first 0-2 start in five years.

The Quakers played N.C. State close Nov. 18, but collapsed near the end of the game to lose by double digits, 77-64.

While the Quakers probably should not be expected to beat an ACC foe like the Wolfpack, their consolation game opponent — Fordham — is by no means a powerhouse. The Rams were 14-15 last season, finishing fifth in the eastern division of the Atlantic-10 Conference.

Penn jumped out to an early lead, but fouls would erase its advantage by the second half. Fordham nailed 30 of 37 foul shots, including several in the waning moments, to prevail, 81-78.

While Penn has struggled to start this year, the rest of the Ivy League has been even worse. Consider your knowledge of the following basketball programs: Wagner, Cleveland State, Central Connecticut State, Marist and Arkansas State.

These are not the programs that often appear prominently on your television set near the end of March, but every one of them has beaten an Ivy League team this year.

Despite the loss of star point guard Chico Fletcher to graduation, Arkansas State knocked off Dartmouth in the consolation game of the Pepsi/Marist Classic in Poughkeepsie, N.Y. The Big Green lost their opening round game to tournament-host Marist, which fell to East Carolina in the final.

Wagner hung 122 points on Brown Nov. 17 in the two teams' season opener. The Bears managed 91 against the Seahawks, but still came up short against a team that finished 6-12 in the Northeast Conference last year.

The Central Connecticut State Blue Devils continued the Northeast Conference's reign by having their way with Columbia Nov. 18. The Blue Devils held the Lions to 40 points in the Mohegan Sun Tournament championship game, while knocking down 61 of their own.

Pride of Lions

It must be said, however, that Columbia is currently the pride of the Ivy League, having won its first-round game against Catholic Nov. 17 to reach the championship game. The Lions' .500 record clearly outclasses the remainder of the league, whose total combined winning percentage is .000.

While Columbia lost to the Blue Devils from Central Connecticut, Princeton fell to the Blue Devils of Duke — a loss that seems a good deal better in light of the failures of other Ivy League teams thus far this year.

"A lot of people have been doubting us," senior forward Nate Walton said before the season.

El-Nokali supported that sentiment, saying, "a lot of people have written us off — we're fifth in some magazines."

If the Ivy League were as strong this year as it had been in the last few, the blowout loss to Duke would have given immediate credence to those who predicted Princeton's downfall. But with so many other Ivy teams struggling right alongside the Tigers so far this year, Princeton is far from out of the race.