Letters to the Editor

Lazarus pledges to be open to suggestions and ideas for presidential search process

I am writing in response to yesterday's article in the 'Prince' about my selection to the presidential search committee. When I applied for the presidential search committee, I did so in order to give back to the Princeton community and to help ensure that Princeton's next president will be honest, open and enthusiastically committed to the University. Being one of two undergraduate students on the committee is a responsibility that I do not take lightly, and I hope to be a strong voice on the committee. Because the undergraduate body already has an elected representative who will be serving on the committee, I will endeavor to bring to the process a fresh outlook, one that can consider important University issues from a new angle. I studied abroad in Chile last semester, and from that experience I gained a deep appreciation for Princeton and its unique characteristics. I want to preserve these special qualities, and I also want to further improve the University so that it will grow in the right direction and under the right visions and supervision in years to come.

I do not profess to have all the answers, and I know that I still have things to learn. The process of choosing the next President is just beginning, and we are all in it together. I want to honorably represent your concerns and to reflect the goals and ideals of the student body. To that end, I welcome everyone's comments and suggestions. Feel free to contact me at llazarus@princeton.edu. Please join me as we embark on the challenge of finding the proper leadership for Princeton University's future. Lisa Lazarus '02

President Shapiro's legacy involved sincere interaction with students

I'm writing to take issue with the staff editorial published in the Sept. 25 issue of the 'Prince.' First of all, though President Shapiro should certainly be applauded for his aggressive fund-raising efforts, the success of the market during the last few years and the consequential return on invested capital probably had just as much, if not more, to do with the growth in the size of the endowment. That's just an observation, not the real impetus for my writing. The more significant issues I have about the editorial are with regard to Shapiro's personal involvement and legacy.

I found President Shapiro to be immensely approachable. In the spring of 1994, I was a student in his Freshman Seminar, FRS 124. That seminar was one of the high points in my educational experience, and not just because the president of the University was teaching the class.

President Shapiro is a phenomenal scholar, one who has the rare ability to critically analyze a movement in which he himself is an active participant. We used Princeton as a case study to examine the evolution of higher education in the United States. It was a fantastic experience. Not only did he not miss a class meeting — as could be expected from someone with so many other obligations — but he invited us to his home, he commented on our weekly essays and weighed in on electronic discussions between classmates. I'd see e-mails from him all through the week and late on Sunday evenings.

Moreover, I met with him once or twice a year from my sophomore year on through to graduation, just to chat with him for 15 minutes or a half-hour. He asked pointed questions about what I was studying and what I wanted to do with my life. He took an active interest in my development and experience at Princeton, something which I appreciated then but have come to be immensely grateful for now that I'm looking back.

Sure, President Shapiro might not have been the most dynamic and flashy of presidents, but the job isn't about that. It's about building a first-rate people factory, one that turns out interesting, capable people who are properly equipped to become the next generation's leaders. No one can question Shapiro's success in this regard.

It's difficult to compare the legacies of presidents Goheen and Bowen with President Shapiro. Events such as the switch to coeducation are by their very nature one-time only. Of course, former President Goheen should be commended for his efforts, but it's not fair to compare Goheen's legacy with President Shapiro's. It's an apples-to-oranges comparison.

The core of Shapiro's legacy is about Princeton in our nation's service. His involvement with external organizations and presidential committees — which some might call a distraction — is a testament to that philosophy. Under his watch, Princeton's academic foundation has been strengthened with new professors, more courses and new facilities. In addition, the learning environment improved through the largest residential and quality-of-life construction projects in Princeton's history.

Princeton as a people factory is now churning out more leaders than ever before, and what's more, they're better equipped than ever to tackle the challenges presented by contemporary society. President Shapiro should be commended for having taken the necessary actions to ensure Princeton's continued relevance and success in the 21st century. And I think we should all consider ourselves tremendously lucky for having had the benefit of Shapiro's leadership and experience. Joe Faber '97