Field hockey looks to right the ship after three straight losses

For years Princeton's field hockey team has dominated the field. Last year, however, when the contest for the Ivy Crown resulted in a tie with Brown, the Tigers were forced to share bragging rights.

Princeton — which had held the title on its own for five consecutive seasons — will attempt to break its three-game losing streak and stake claim to the 2000 Ivy championship this weekend as it hosts the Bears (5-4 overall, 0-3 Ivy League) Saturday. The following day, the Tigers (5-3 overall, 3-0 Ivy League) will turn their attention to their national standing when they host Duke (5-9, 0-3 Atlantic Coast Conference) Sunday. Both games will take place at 1952 Stadium.

A cut above

These were no ordinary teams that topped the Tigers the past three games. Following a rigorous schedule that paired No. 7 Princeton with the nation's top three teams — No. 1 Maryland, No. 2 Old Dominion and No. 3 North Carolina — in consecutive games, the field hockey team hopes to take what it has learned from these powerhouses and apply it to this weekend's contests.

"Even though we lost Sunday, it was a very even game," senior attack Kellie Maul said. "We started to really gel together as a team — more than we have in the past. We may have lost but we definitely have a lot to take with us into the rest of the season."

Recovery is a key issue for the field hockey squad as it heads into its matchups with Brown and Duke. While the events of the season's most recent duels remain fresh in their minds, the Tigers will also be battling memories of a year ago, when they lost to Brown, 2-1, and surrendered sole claim to the league championship.

Blues Brothers

"We are on a mission," Maul said. "The overtime loss to ODU was heartbreaking, but we played a good game with passion. This weekend gives us incentive to play our best against Brown."

In the overtime game Sunday, ODU outshot Princeton, 20-8. There was also disparity in numbers in the game on Saturday against UNC, when the Tar Heels had nine more shots on goal.

"There may have been a difference in shots on goal but there was not a disparity in possession time," head coach Beth Bozman said. "This weekend, though, we're going to continue to play the game, taking more shots on goal. And that will make a difference in the eventual outcome."

In order to conquer the Bears, the Tigers will have to generate many more sustained offensive attacks. A win Saturday will not only continue Princeton's undefeated Ivy record this season, but will also better the Tigers' already-strong chances for an outright Ivy Crown and a consequent bid to the NCAAs.

Concentrated effort

"If we outrun Brown and beat them to every ball, we can definitely win," sophomore goalie Kelly Baril said. "Winning back the Ivy title is our primary goal at this point. It's going to be a total team effort with everyone playing together and playing to win."

Although Brown has failed to come away with an Ivy win so far this season, it will be entering the stadium Saturday with newfound confidence after Wednesday's convincing 4-0 victory over Sacred Heart.

Duke, on the other hand, has also suffered a series of losses to the nation's best as it fell to No. 4 Wake Forest, 4-2, last Thursday and Maryland, 4-0, Sunday. Although Princeton boasts a higher ranking than the Blue Devils, Duke has given the Tigers a very good run for their money on occasion in the past. Two years ago Princeton encountered no obstacles en route to its 2-0 shutout victory over Duke. Last season, however, the scoreboard did not look the same — the Blue Devils outscored the Tigers, 2-1.

"Right now we're focusing on total team effort," Bozman said. "We've had to play tight against the top three teams and our biggest challenge this weekend will be to continue playing at that level."