Tigers look to remove all doubt regarding NCAA status

Last year, it came down to the wire: Would the women's soccer team make the NCAA tournament?

While the answer turned out to be yes, this year's team looks to that nail-biting decision as its personal challenge — to remove any doubt in the eyes of the tournament selection committee.

"We want to make it clear that we deserve to be in the tournament, that there is no question," junior midfielder Linley Gober said.

With a deeper and more talented team than last year, the Tigers hope to equate their skill with success.

"Our goal is to win the Ivy League and to make a name for ourselves," Gober said.

Princeton's goal will be a difficult one. Four teams from the league made the NCAA tournament last year.

"There are no doormats in the league," head coach Julie Shackford said.

No sneaking up

While last year, the team saw itself as something of an underdog, this year will be tougher.

"We have to repeat our big wins from last year, but this year we've proved ourselves, so the rest of the league will be looking for us," junior captain and fullback Kelly Sosa said.

Princeton's greatest strength lies in its defense, which last year gave up only 12 goals. This year, the Tigers hope to keep that number below 10.

One of the team's focuses this season, however, has been on its offense. Princeton hopes a stronger attack will lead it to the Ivy crown.

"This year we want to work on finishing and production," Shackford said. "We don't want to have to rely on the defense."

The Tigers have started out the season strong, winning their first two games.

Princeton defeated visiting George Washington (1-3), 6-0, Sept. 2. In an offensive outburst, the Tigers outshot the Colonials, 30-4.

"I think that game was important for us," Shackford said. "In the past, we have taken our time to score, but in this game we came out and put them away. I hope to continue that the rest of the season."

On Sept. 8, the Tigers took on Seton Hall (3-2) at home, and after an ugly battle, Princeton prevailed, 1-0.

"We weren't very effective against their defense, but in past years we might not have won that game," senior captain and fullback Jenny Lankford said. "It's nice when our learning experiences are wins."

Last year's freshman class was one of the best recruiting classes in the nation, and those players now have experience to add to their talent.

"This is the most competitive team I've been on in my four years here," Lankford said. "We have improved each year."

Reserve tank

This improvement can be seen on the bench. The team has great versatility with depth at several positions.

"We have very few weaknesses," Shackford said.

Although it will be a tough road, the Tigers believe they can win the Ivy League — and thereby prove that they deserve to be mentioned among the best teams in the country.