Nugent sparks men's soccer win over Rider

LAWRENCEVILLE — In yesterday's battle for Rt. 206 men's soccer supremacy, it was only fitting that a New Jersey native figured heavily in the outcome.

Junior forward Mike Nugent, who grew up in nearby Cranbury, scored a pair of goals in the first half to lead the Tigers (4-0) to an easy 3-0 win over Rider. Princeton controlled the contest from the outset and outshot its hosts, 21-9. "I just like to be dangerous," Nugent said after the game, "whether it's passing or scoring."

On this day, Nugent was just that, showcasing his ability to get open in front of the net and finish whatever scoring chances present themselves.

The Tigers had little difficulty possessing the ball, with Rider (3-4) seemingly content to defend its own goal and patiently look for counterattacks. Nugent was undeterred, however, easily breaking through that defense twice in the first half to help take the pressure off the heavily-favored visitors.

Princeton got on the scoreboard with 30 minutes, 46 seconds remaining in the first half, when junior midfielder Matt Behncke hustled after a loose ball just outside the Rider penalty area. After gaining possession, Behncke played a perfectly timed ball along the ground to Nugent, who had charged to the net unmarked. The Princeton striker easily one-timed the ball past Bronc goalkeeper Frank de'Latour.

'Broke the ice'

"We knew Rider was going to drop a lot of guys behind the ball," head coach Jim Barlow '91 said. "We were trying to open up a little bit. I think the Nugent goal kind of broke the ice."

Almost immediately after opening the scoring, Nugent had another one-on-one opportunity against de'Latour. This time, he lifted the ball over the sliding goalkeeper, but the shot hit the crossbar.

The pipe only prolonged the inevitable, however. Nugent added another breakaway goal with 11:30 remaining in the half off a pass from senior midfielder Kevin Griffin.

"Nugent was frustrated against American," head coach Jim Barlow '91 said, referring to Princeton's season-opener Sept. 8. "I think the last few days, his confidence is really high."

At the start of the second half, Nugent hit the crossbar once again and then retired to the bench for the latter stages of the contest, content with a two-goal game in which he very nearly scored four.

The Tiger offense continued to apply pressure, however, and sophomore forward Matt Douglas's breakaway goal with 33:49 remaining in the game effectively sealed the outcome.

NOTES: The Princeton and Rider rosters included a total of 18 players from the state of New Jersey — 13 of whom played for the host Broncs . . . Princeton has lost just once in its last 11 regular-season games, dating back to Oct. 6, 1999.