Guard needs release to receive scholarship

The men's basketball team's standout sophomore guard Spencer Gloger may have already returned to his native California, but his place in the UCLA basketball program is far from certain.

According to UCLA's Academic Records Services Unit, Gloger has contacted that university intending to register as a student.

But Princeton's Registrar's Office reports that Gloger has not transferred or withdrawn from the University. Despite his absence from the campus, he remains enrolled at Princeton.

Nothing precludes Gloger from withdrawing from the University and enrolling at UCLA as a student. But without a release from Princeton's Athletics Department, NCAA bylaws would prohibit Gloger from receiving any form of scholarship or financial aid from UCLA for one year as a student-athlete.

A source familiar with the situation said that — pending an internal review of the situation — such a release has not yet been granted by Princeton.

When asked if Gloger was still a member of the men's basketball team, head coach John Thompson III '88 said "I do not know." He said he would comment on the situation at the "appropriate time."

Director of Athletics Gary Walters '67 would not discuss the situation either.

"As with all student activities, all those issues are confidential. Any information coming forward would have to come from the student," he said.

Gloger himself could not be reached for comment.

UCLA's admissions department was unavailable to comment on any pending readmission process and UCLA's Department of Athletics was unwilling to comment on the situation.

According to NCAA bylaw 13.1.1.3: "An athletics staff member or other representative of the institution's athletics interests shall not make contact with the student-athlete of another four-year collegiate institution, directly or indirectly, without first obtaining the written permission of the first institution's athletics director."

By the book

If a student-athlete wishes to transfer to another institution and participate in intercollegiate athletics, he or she must request a release from his or her current institution. Prior to that release, the individual cannot discuss athletic arrangements with the other institution's administration or coaching staff.

This is another chapter in a checkered history between Princeton and UCLA over Gloger. Gloger accepted a grant-in-aid from the Bruins in the spring of 1999. That summer, he changed his mind and enrolled at Princeton.