An expanded student-life post, and a VP from Duke to fill it

Janet Dickerson, Duke University's vice president for student affairs, has been tapped by Princeton to fill the vacancy created by the departure of Dean of Student Life Janina Montero — and then some.

With Dickerson's arrival, Montero's old position will be broadened both in name and function. As Vice President for Campus Life, Dickerson will be involved with the graduate school and undergraduate residential colleges, as well as oversee the new Frist Campus Center.

According to President Shapiro, the University created Dickerson's new position to distinguish her from Dean of Undergraduate Students Kathleen Deignan. "We wanted to indicate through the vice president title that this was a very important, policy-level appointment," Shapiro said. "But we also wanted to eliminate any uncertainty. We have a dean for undergraduate student life, and we didn't want there to be any confusion about who was who."

At Duke, Dickerson chaired a task force that worked to identify underlying causes of alcohol abuse and educate students about the risks of drinking.

Though she will hold a higher administrative position than her predecessor, Dickerson said she still plans to work closely with students, both undergraduate and graduate.

"One of my first goals would be to get to know you all, to hear what students have to say. I tend to listen carefully," she said. "I will have office hours to get to know student individuals and groups."

"Students are great entrepreneurs. We can work together to carry on the tradition at Princeton where students take leadership roles," she added.

Student funding

Dickerson said she hopes to make more resources available to student organizations.

"I notice that you don't have much money for student activities," Dickerson said. "At Duke, our student organization [budget] is about $1 million a year. Princeton has a fraction of that. I think there are ways we can get students more money."

Dickerson said she hopes to address the concerns of graduate students and the administration, especially in light of the recent controversy over the Debasement Bar.

"My plan will be to be an advocate for graduate students so that decisions made about them include them and so that they really do get the recognition they deserve to have," she said.

Dickerson said she looks forward to participating in the process for planning a sixth residential college. Of the proposal to convert the Graduate College into a residential college, she said she will look for a plan that takes into consideration the needs of both undergraduates and graduates.

"I would hope we make sure the graduate students were heard, and that as we made plans to improve undergraduate student life, we didn't sacrifice the graduate students' experience," she said. "Their life is tough enough already."

Dickerson said she also hopes to increase the number of alternative social venues at Princeton.

"I think the campus should be a place where every student should be comfortable," she noted.

Dickerson said she took the job because it will allow her to continue to interact with students.

"I knew that my term would be ending next year, and after a great deal of consideration, I realized what I love to do most is to work with students," she said. "I feel like I'm blessed with the gift of being a good listener and a good community builder."

Highly recommended

Vice President and Secretary Thomas Wright '62, who chaired the search committee, said the faculty and students who met with Dickerson in her four visits to campus during the past two months gave her glowing reviews.

"Every single student who met with her gave her very positive evaluations," he said. "They said it was a warm and impressive experience to be with her."

Dean of the College Nancy Malkiel, also a member of the search committee, said she thinks Dickerson is "terrific."

"She's a person of enormous experience, wisdom, good judgement, great warmth, great intelligence, empathy and ability to see completely and appreciate nuance," Malkiel said. "I think she'll be a great leader for us."

Dickerson said she sees her role as a student advocate and "community builder."

"I like to think everything I've achieved is because I've been able to work well with others," she said. "I like to build relationships between students, students and faculty, alumni and parents. Relationship building is work that I value."

Barbara Baker, Duke's dean of student development and residential education, worked under Dickerson.

"She's absolutely wonderful," Baker said. "She's a very talented and effective student affairs professional. She has led the division of students affairs for the last nine years. She has been very effective in reaching all members of the Duke community . . . [and] in opening doors on campus to all different kinds of students, faculty, administration and staff."

Dickerson will be the University's first female African-American vice president, according to Shapiro.

"I don't know that my race and gender will have the first impact," Dickerson said. "Justice issues are very important to me — providing an environment that respects diversity and equity."

Shapiro said he looks forward to Dickerson's arrival on campus July 1.

"It's a very exciting appointment," he said. "I can hardly wait to see her arrive."

'Prince' Senior Writer Phil Novack '02 contributed to this report.