M. volleyball falls to Rutgers-Newark, must win two of final five matches

There's something about March.

While college basketball teams across the country await their fates at the hands of the NCAA Selection Committee, the men's volleyball team still controls its own destiny going into its last five matches before the Eastern Intercollegiate Volleyball Association tournament in mid-April. The Tigers need to win two of those next five in order to qualify for the postseason.

"We'd like to win all five, but we have to take it one step at a time," senior outside Pablo Clarke said.

Princeton (7-8 overall, 3-6 EIVA-Tait) began its recent road trip hoping to better its standings in the EIVA Tait division, but now finds itself in serious danger of missing the postseason altogether. Losses at George Mason (6-6, 3-6) and Rutgers-Newark (7-9, 5-3), sandwiched around a win at Southampton (2-14, 2-7), put the Tigers on the bubble for post-season play — of the eight teams in the EIVA Tait Division, only six make the playoffs.

The Tigers traveled to Fairfax, Va., Feb. 29 for a rematch of their loss in the home opener to George Mason. Princeton was swept by the Patriots in the two teams' first meeting — scoring more than 10 points in only one of the three games.

While the Tigers put up more of a fight in the reprise, the result was ultimately the same.

Princeton dropped the first game, 15-10, but rallied to take the second convincingly, 15-5. As has been the case all season, however, the Tigers were unable to build the success of one game into a solid match. Princeton and George Mason split the next two games, with a score of 15-11 in each.

In the fifth game, the Patriots jumped out to an 8-3 lead, but the Tigers came back to tie the game at 13. Princeton has struggled all season with its serve and it was a service error on match point that gave the match back to George Mason. The Patriots tied the game at 14 and went on to win 18-16 — taking the match 3-2.

The larger George Mason squad dominated the Tigers at the net, out blocking them 19-12.5 on the night. Overall, the Patriots committed many more service errors than Princeton, 19-7.

The following night, Princeton rebounded to defeat a weak Southampton squad in four games and sweep the season series with the Colonials. The Tigers won the first game, 15-5, only to drop the second by a score of 15-12. The match closed with two 15-8 Princeton wins.

Princeton has won back-to-back matches only once this season. The inconsistency of the 2000 campaign continued, as Rutgers-Newark put an end to any hopes of a second Tiger winning streak.

"The quality of play went down because we were tired," Clarke said. "We were never really in the match."

The Scarlet Raiders dominated the first two games, winning each easily — 15-7 and 15-8 respectively. The Tigers rallied to take the third, 16-14, but came up short in the fourth, 15-9 — dropping the match three games to one.

Freshman middle Dennis Al-shuler and senior setter Jason Morrow led the Princeton charge, with 21 kills and 67 assists, respectively. Morrow also led the team on defense, recording 14 digs. The senior has 105 total digs on the season, in addition to his 853 assists.

Princeton's next match comes after spring break as it goes on the road again — looking to split the season series with Juniata Mar. 24. The last few matches of the season are going to be crucial for the Tigers.

"We have to win two of the next four or five in order to make the playoffs," Clarke said.

Otherwise, Princeton can forget about its chances at any April Madness.