Lafayette should give men's hoops challenge behind Ciosici, Ehlers

Lafayette entered this season fresh off its first NCAA tournament appearance since the 1956-57 season. Even though the Leopards graduated three seniors, the media still unanimously chose them as the preseason favorite to repeat as Patriot League champions. Enthusiasm in Easton, Pa., couldn't get much higher.

If there's one thing Lafayette fans were worried about heading into this season, it was perhaps having too much of a good thing.

After all, the 1999-2000 Leopard team carries the unique distinction of being the only one in NCAA history to return two former conference players of the year. Senior guard Brian Ehlers won the award last season after averaging 18.1 points per game for the conference champions. Senior center Stefan Ciosici, who sat out last year with a torn anterior cruciate ligament, won the award in the 1997-98 season. Lafayette also boasts a former Patriot League Rookie of the Year in sharpshooting guard Tyson Whitfield, now a junior.

Vegas

But even with such an award-laden roster, the Leopards (7-4) are not a sure bet to defeat Princeton (7-6) tomorrow night in Jadwin Gym.

Part of Lafayette's problems revolve around Ciosici (pronounced "CHO-sitch"), who has still not fully recovered from the devastating knee injury he suffered two summer's ago. Despite averaging a solid 10.5 points and 5.4 rebounds per game, Ciosici remains hindered by his inability to practice regularly and put full pressure on the reconstructed knee.

"Even though he missed last year, missing days of practice doesn't help him either," head coach Fran O'Hanlon said. "His decision-making and things like that still need to be worked on."

At times, the senior from Romania has shown flashes of his former brilliance. In an 81-69 win over St. Peter's Dec. 11, Ciosici registered team-highs with 21 points and 11 rebounds. He earned Patriot League Player of the Week honors largely for his efforts in that game.

In other games, the six-foot, 11-inch center has hardly made a dent in the box score. He tallied just three points and three boards to go along with four turnovers in Lafayette's 76-58 win over Delaware Valley Wednesday.

O'Hanlon tries to remain patient, but he understands that his star center may struggle for a while to regain his on-court touch.

"Missing a year and a half, certainly there's some rust there," O'Hanlon said. "He's had some good moments and some not-so-good moments. He's getting more consistent as the season wears on, and hopefully by the time the playoffs roll around for our league, he'll be back to close to 100 percent."

Stepping up

Despite Ciosici's inconsistency so far this season, the Leopards have still compiled a winning record thanks mostly to the play of Ehlers and Whitfield, who have led the team in scoring in nine of Lafayette's 11 games. Ehlers again paces the Leopards with 14.9 points per game, while Whitfield is shooting a blistering 47 percent from three-point range.

If Lafayette comes out gunning like it did last year against Princeton, the Leopards won't need much help from their banged-up center to succeed. In the Tigers' 1998-99 season-opener, Lafayette outplayed Princeton in every phase of the game en route to an easy 63-47 victory.

Still, the Leopards hope to get Ciosici playing true to his 1997-98 form sooner rather than later. If he can find a way to score inside consistently, Lafayette could cause even more trouble for Princeton.