Women's lax to host No. 5 Virginia in key clash

Just one little blip in an otherwise smooth program of excellence, that's all. Nothing to worry about.

For the women's lacrosse team, the start of the 1997 season was a disappointment for the traditionally powerful Tigers. Then, Princeton's started the season just 5-2. This year, the Tigers are out to put the start of last season behind them.

So far Princeton (5-0 overall, 1-0 Ivy League) is doing a magnificent job. With early wins over Georgetown and Penn State, the Tigers have already gone a long way towards redemption, but one of the big tests for the Tigers is just on the horizon.

Tonight at 1952 Stadium, No. 2 Princeton will face off against No. 5 Virginia 5-2 in the last of the Tigers' difficult early season challenges.

Redemption

Besides solidifying its presence this year, tonight's game will offer Princeton an opportunity to atone for a disappointing 10-6 loss to the Cavaliers last spring. Although ranked higher, the Tigers have few delusions about their status.

"Virginia could just as easily be No. 2," head coach Chris Sailer said. "We're not concerned with rankings. It's just not something we talk about."

Although Princeton was eventually able to turn its season around last year and almost made the NCAA tournament, last year's struggles have made this year that much sweeter.

With the return of high-scoring junior attack Cristi Samaras and the tough experience learned by an inexperienced team last season's season has the potential to be, and so far has been, one of the best ever.

"I don't think we're surprised at all," Sailer said. "With the experience of the juniors and getting key people back, we're just exactly where we thought we would be."

Record breaker

Certainly impressive, if not so surprising, has been the play of Samaras. She is well on track to breaking Princeton's single-season scoring record and has brought the added benefit of freeing up other players.

To succeed against the Cavaliers, the Tigers will focus on the transition game by creating turnovers and containing the shot-happy Virginia offense.

"We're looking to score more transition goals and force turnovers at midfield." Sailer said. "Virginia's very fast – probably the fastest team we'll face all year. "

Ivy foe

Sunday Princeton faces Cornell as part of its only two-game weekend of the regular season. Although the Big Red has not faced the same quality of competition as the Tigers and are by far the weekend's weaker opponent, the match is still a key Ivy game and essential to Princeton's goal of capturing the Ivy League title.

But as long as Princeton keeps winning, there is little to be concerned about. In the long run, the Tigers would like to finish ranked in the top four nationally to assure a first-round NCAA playoff bye.

With an easier stretch of the season approaching after Virginia and No. 7 Temple Tuesday, this week is a key indicator for this season. If the Tigers continue their strong play of late through this weekend, they are certain to be playing in the NCAA tournament. If they falter, though, the memory of last year may be a little harder to dismiss.