Triangle Club pays tribute to life of Jimmy Stewart '32

"No man is a failure who has friends."

If the Clarence the angel's words to George in "It's a Wonderful Life" are true, Jimmy Stewart '32 has at least as many friends as can fill McCarter Theatre.

Stewart fans – mostly middle-aged and older – streamed into McCarter Monday night to attend a tribute to the late actor. The program, "An Evening of Entertainment and Reminiscence," hosted by Triangle Club, featured speaker A. Scott Berg '71.

As the audience took their seats, a large, projected picture of young Stewart stared out into the theater – eyebrows arched into questions and lips began to smile.

Berg's speech, "Mr. Stewart Goes to Washington," was "an overview of Stewart's life and work complete with choice film clips and commentary," according to a flyer advertising the program.

Triangle connections

Along with Berg's speech, the program included a short film on Stewart's Triangle Club career. Triangle Club members also sang "East of the Sun (West of the Moon)," "All the Ships that Pass in the Night" and "The Song Goes On."

Berg spoke affectionately of Triangle Club as well as of Stewart's career – that began on McCarter's stage in the Triangle production "The Golden Dog." According to the tribute film, Stewart, convinced by a roommate to try out for the show, was only allowed a part – and nonspeaking at that – because he could play a "mean" accordion.

Stewart's career grew after his Triangle debut. After key roles in several Triangle productions, he collected his University degree and headed straight into a film career that would produce legendary successes such as "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington," "The Philadelphia Story" and "It's a Wonderful Life."

Berg highlighted these classic films in his speech as well as a Stewart appearance on national television where he performed a song from the Triangle show produced in 1931 titled "The Tiger Smiles."

Personal history

Berg also included biographical information regarding Stewart's life outside the entertainment industry including his time fighting in World War II, his childhood and his marriage.

Emphasized most, however, was Stewart's great love for Princeton. Berg said every time he ran into Stewart at a party, the first three comments out of Stewart's mouth were the questions, "Did you make it back to Princeton?" "Did you go to McCarter?" and "Did you see a Triangle show?"

Berg added that Stewart attributed his acting success to his Triangle experiences.

The audience was very receptive to Berg's speech and the film clips from Stewart's career. After several clips, the audience erupted with applause, interrupting Berg's speech.

A self-proclaimed "Princeton fan," audience-member Rosalind Gracey said, "I cried. It was really touching. Who doesn't like Jimmy Stewart? The angel says a man is never alone if he has friends. And friends are what make up the alumni at Princeton."