Incumbents retain class offices; election draws uneven turnout

In an election dominated by incumbents, the Classes of 1999, 2000 and 2001 chose their class officers and U-Counselors amidst inconsistent voter turnout.

Grace Maa '99 won 65 percent of the vote to serve a second term as president of the class of '99, defeating Brian Jo '99.

Jamie Flynn '99, who ran unopposed, will also serve another term as class vice president next year. Ning Tang '99, defeated Lydia Isaac '99 to take the position of class treasurer for the third year. Karen Welt '99 earned 76 percent of the vote to become class secretary. As social chair, Noushin Heidary '99 will round out the senior class officers.

Maa said the success of the class' incumbents was a sign that "everyone is satisfied with last year's officers." She added that this was because, "Our class has been a part of some unique events that have built class unity."

Class of 2000, 2001

Incumbents retained all their positions in the Class of 2000's officer elections. Class president Jennifer Jennings '00 won 47 percent of the vote to defeat Jake Sabat '00 and Anita Stoneham '00 in a three-way race for president.

Eirik Olsen '00 will continue as vice president after defeating Andre Perry '00. Phyllis Chiang '00, Morey Barnes '00 and Matthew Chou '00 were unopposed in their efforts for another year as treasurer, secretary and social chair, respectively.

The sophomore class officers said they hope to further their past efforts. "I'm excited to continue working, especially on our service project and alumni relations," Jennings said.

The Class of 2001 saw the only change in president, as Justin Browne '01, the class' current vice president, beat out Jim Derose '01 to replace current president Max Anderson '01.

Tiffany Robinson '01, the current treasurer for the class, ran unopposed and will fill Browne's spot as vice president. Brandon Miller '01 took over the treasurer's position. Jen Adams '01 will be the class secretary next year and Anne Gordon '01 won the race for social chair.

"I had a great time this year, and I'm looking forward to continuing this work," Browne said. His main initiatives for next year are additional study breaks and better class internship and service programs, he said.

F. Dok Harris '01, gained the most votes in the U-Council elections and will be joined on the council by Amanda Teo '99, Raj Shah '00, Pavan Ahluwalia '99, Carolyn Chao '01, Felicia Pullam '00, Robert Anolik '00, Caroline Coleman '00, Teddy Nemeroff '01 and Greg Mancini '01.

Voter turnout

Voter turnout was unusually high for the Classes of 2000 and 2001 – with 57 percent and 58 percent respectively casting votes. Only 29 percent of the Class of 1999, however, voted.

USG vice president Spencer Merriweather '00 said the high turnout in the underclass elections, "definitely shows a trend that Student Government is of growing significance in students lives."

Maa said that, while she was "a little disappointed" by the low turnout from the class of '99, she felt that "as a freshman its very exciting to vote." She also linked the low turn out with the success of incumbents. "When people are happy with what's going on, turn out always lowers," she explained. She added that this should not reflect negatively on the class, which she said she feels is "very politically active."

Merriweather also expressed satisfaction that, as opposed to recent elections, no candidates were disqualified. "All the candidates did a great job this year."