Bosstones to delay scheduled concert

Students eager to lace up their dancing shoes for an evening of ska are going to have to wait a few more weeks. The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, who were scheduled to headline a four-band, backed out of the April 17 date for the Spring Concert.

"The band is currently on tour in Europe, and as their momentum continues to build over there, their record company has advised us that they will need to delay their return to the United States," wrote the band's agent, Jonathan Levine of Monterey Peninsula Artists, in an April 2 letter informing the University of the postponement.

Levine said the Bosstones will be appearing on the number-one-rated television show in Great Britain and that "(t)his appearance must take precedence over all other commitments during that time."

Future scheduling

The date for the postponed concert was unclear as of yesterday. "We are currently rescheduling the concert," said USG president David Ascher '99, declining further comment.

Levine noted in his letter that the band is still available on April 21, 27 and 30. The band has also said that, if necessary, it will extend its college concert tour beyond the scheduled finishing date of May 4 in order to accommodate the University, Levine said. However, any date after the 30th could be problematic because of the start of reading period, and the 21st and 27th are weekday nights, respectively.

Assistant Dean of Student Life Beth Morgan said the University's options are somewhat limited because of the academic schedule. "Anything after May isn't going to work for us," Morgan said.

The three-and-a-half hour concert is planned to feature the Bosstones and will open with the Pilfers, God Street Wine and Clowns for Progress. Morgan, who is negotiating the new schedule, said the University still plans to have all four bands.

"When you're dealing with entertainment acts, they make decisions based on what's in their best interest," Morgan said, explaining that she understands the Bosstones' decision.

Other bands

One potential problem with the switch is that God Street Wine is already booked April 30. "God Street's ready to play whenever, but we might have to do some tap-dancing because we've got some other dates," said a spokesman for Invasion Group, which manages the band. The spokesman said the band will be playing at Toads, a New Haven, Conn. bar, on the night of the 30th.

Both Invasion Group and Randy Nichols, booking agent for the Pilfers, said they had not been fully informed about what was going on with the concert. "They're looking at a couple of different dates and trying to find one that looks good for both the Bosstones and the University," said Nichols, adding he did not know much else about the concert's status.

Morgan said that negotiations will continue. "It's not convenient, but I think we can do it," Morgan said. "You have to be flexible, and that's what we're trying to do."