University creates dorm assistant post

Are you bemoaning your room-draw time? Want a large single in Scully with a private bathroom? You might consider applying for the newly created position of Dormitory Assistant.

The Office of the Dean of Student Life and the Department of Housing are currently advertising for applicants to fill two Dormitory Assistant positions in Scully Hall next year. Each of the two DAs will act as "a liaison between the students that live in Scully and various administrative departments," said Adam Rockman, coordinator of undergraduate housing.

Scully Hall, located near Poe Field and east of Butler College, will be ready to house 263 upperclassmen by next fall, said Assistant Dean of Student Life Sandra Silverman.

Silverman said the dormitory assistant program is a test run.

"We're piloting it in Scully because it's the first upperclass dormitory with an abundance of common space," Silverman said. "There will be issues of scheduling and maintenance," she added.

In addition, since the facilities will be new and construction on parts of the building will continue into the year, Rockman said, "We want to make sure that students have an on-site liaison . . . to handle concerns."

Perks of the job

The two DAs will occupy rooms on the first and second floors of Scully. Both rooms are two-room singles with private baths. Room 165, on the first floor, is 211 square feet. The room on the second floor, room 235, is 198 square feet.

The housing office and the dean of student life's office advertised for the positions in each issue of this week's 'Prince.' The ad indicates that the job will require 10 hours of work per week.

DAs "will be responsible for addressing issues relating to maintenance and residential concerns of students living in Scully Hall," the advertisement said. As compensation, DAs will not have to pay rooming fees of $3,077 per year.

Though some of the DAs' responsibilities remain ambiguous, Silverman emphasized that they will not be RAs. "This is not a disciplinary issue at all."

She added, "We don't necessarily see them as community builders, but I can see it evolving into that."

DAs may populate many upperclass dorms in the future.

"If all goes well, as we renovate the buildings and more common space is made available, we may see more DAs," Silverman said.

Descriptions of the position and applications are available at 308 West College. Applications are due April 6 by 5 p.m.