Dillon receives new aerobics floor; fitness instructors cite advantages

Devoted aerobics fans now have yet another incentive to get out of bed for that early-morning fitness class.

The University recently replaced the floor in the aerobics room in Dillon Gymnasium. The floor "had seen better days," said Eric Stein, Dillon Gym manager, and was replaced over intersession.

"It was just time for a change," added Stein. He explained that the old "spring-loaded gymnastics floor" was replaced with a new aerobics floor.

The new floor is better suited for the majority of purposes the aerobics room serves, Stein said. The upstairs aerobics room is primarily used for aerobics classes offered by the Department of Athletics, excluding the step-aerobics classes.

"I think it's great," said Mary Marton, an aerobics instructor. "There's a lot more stability, especially joint stability. The other floor was just too bouncy."

Aerobics students seem to be responding favorably as well. "I really like this new floor," said Gregory Lilien '00. "It feels awesome."

According to Marton, the students are able to execute routines better with this floor. "They just follow better. You can see a real difference in the class," she said. "I've been teaching aerobics for 15 years, and this floor is very good. I'm very happy with it."

However, not everybody is pleased with the new floor. The aerobics room is also used by martial arts groups and the cheerleading squad.

"The old floor was better for us because it was a spring floor," said cheerleader Kacey Guy '01. "The new floor makes it harder for us to practice, especially when we start learning new stunts. Basically, this new floor is thin and hard."

Guy said the team must now bring out mats to prevent injuries when learning new routines.

"We don't really have enough mats, and even the ones that we have are pretty much inadequate," Guy said. "They definitely didn't talk to us before making the decision to change the type of floor."

Marton said that the decision was a purely administrative one.

"We (the aerobics instructors) had nothing to do with it,"she said, "but I think we're all definitely happy with it."