Candidates discuss platforms at forum Candidates Forum

According to USG election rules, a candidate would be heavily penalized for skipping the Candidates Forum without good reason.

If the student body were running, it would be out of the race.

The USG sponsored the Candidates Forum Monday night as part of the campaign process before this weekend's spring elections. Running for U-Council representative and class office, 39 of 41 candidates spoke at the event. A handful of students listened in the audience. The forum was also broadcast on Tiger Vision.

USG vice president and elections chair Spencer Merriweather '99 and USG president David Ascher '99 opened the forum. Before the meeting, Merriweather said the Candidates Forum was "for all students to have the opportunity to hear the candidates."

U-Council

After the opening remarks, candidates for U-Council representative spoke. The 18 candidates are competing for 10 student spots on U-Council, a policymaking body that includes students, faculty, administrators and staff.

U-Council candidates discussed a variety of ideas. Amanda Teo '99 spoke about improving the teaching skills of preceptors. Robert Anolik '00 pounded his fist with the words, "certificate programs, certificate programs, certificate programs."

Pavan Ahluwalia '99 expressed concern about recent construction, such as the "architectural replica of the Starship Enterprise they've installed between Jadwin and Fine." Arjun Venkatraman '01 focused on the slower rate of growth in the endowment when compared to other universities.

One by one, candidates stepped to the podium to deliver two-minute long speeches. Merriweather also invited the candidates, in groups of six, to answer questions from the audience. Most of the questions came from current USG officers.

Class officers

At approximately 9 p.m., candidates for class office began speaking. Each class will elect five officers. Of the 15 elections, only seven are contested.

In the uncontested elections, candidates gave less conventional presentations. Phyllis Chiang '00, running unopposed for class treasurer, ended her speech after one sentence. Jen Adams '01, running for class secretary, stood at the podium and juggled.

In their speeches, many of the candidates said they wanted more study breaks, movie nights, off-campus day-trips and other social activities. Candidates for offices of the classes of 2000 and 2001 also discussed their classes' service projects.

Jen Jennings '00, running for reelection as class president, said the Honor Committee needs to become more proactive in educating students about the code. Because she is the sophomore class president, Jennings will chair the committee in her senior year.

The forum ended about 10:30 p.m. Fewer than a dozen candidates remained in the audience, listening politely while the USG officers continued to ask questions of the other candidates.

Spring elections will be held throughout the weekend. Voting on the USG Website begins tonight at 11:59 and ends Sunday night at 11:59. Paper balloting will take place outside all University dining halls and all eating clubs during dinner tomorrow. Paper ballots will also be available in the Student Center Hyphen tomorrow night from 8 to 10.