Brasno '98 released on bail; University initiates inquiry

After spending two nights in a Philadelphia jail, Jason Brasno '98 was released on bail yesterday following a preliminary arraignment.

An unidentified person posted the $210 bail payment for Brasno before noon yesterday, said Cathleen Coniff, a bail acceptance supervisor. Brasno's total bail is $2000, but the remainder must be paid only if he fails to appear for a court date, Coniff said.

"It's just a kind of binder to show up," said Bill Davol, the spokesman for the Philadelphia District Attorney's office. "He'd be a fool not to."

University action

Regarding University disciplinary action, Assistant Dean of Student Life Marianne Waterbury said yesterday that her office has "initiated an investigation" into allegations that Brasno threw a firecracker into a crowd of fans at Tuesday night's basketball game at the University of Pennsylvania's Palestra.

However, Waterbury said she had few details about the incident and had not spoken with Brasno.

"We honestly don't know what the charges are right now, what the allegations are and whether they are true," Waterbury said.

In the past, the University has punished students for actions committed off campus, she said.

"If the conduct is such that it has endangered others, the University has followed up in the past," Waterbury said. "In other situations, where students have misbehaved off campus at athletic events, we did take disciplinary sanctions."

Brasno was charged by Philadelphia police at the 18th precinct with three felonies and three misdemeanors. The felony counts carry maximum sentences of up to 20 years in prison each while the misdemeanors carry maximum sentences of two to five years each, Davol said.

Some of the charges could have been reduced or eliminated at yesterday's preliminary arraignment, Davol said. However, officials responsible for the records of the proceeding said they could not release any information.

Brasno, the former president of Tiger Inn, could not be reached for comment yesterday.

In about 10 days, a preliminary hearing will take place before a judge to determine the soundness of the case against Brasno, Davol said. Five days following that hearing, Brasno can enter a plea at an arraignment.

Brasno's nights in the Philadelphia jail were most likely spent in a cell with other suspects, some of them accused of serious crimes, Davol said. Awaiting his preliminary arraignment yesterday, there could have been up to 100 suspects sharing Brasno's holding cell in the police administration building, Davol added.

Waterbury said University disciplinary proceedings may commence against a student while he is facing pending criminal charges.