Alisharan '98 wins Sachs award for cognitive neuroscience work

Shalani Alisharan '98 has been named the 29th recipient of the annual Daniel M. Sachs '60 Scholarship. The scholarship fund was established by the Class of 1960 in memory of Daniel Sachs, a varsity football player and Rhodes Scholar who died of cancer at the age of 28.

Alisharan, a psychology major, is from British Columbia in Canada. She studies cognitive neuroscience and the workings of the brain with Professor Charles Gross. Her main extracurricular activity is dance, which she performs with the Black Arts Company.

Every year, the scholarship committee awards a Princeton senior with a financial grant and the opportunity to pursue higher education at Oxford University's Worcester College, where Daniel Sachs undertook his Rhodes fellowship. This is made possible by what chairman David Loevner '76 terms "a special relationship" with Worcester College, which also makes a financial contribution towards the recipient's tuition and living costs.

While there has been no particular course of study pursued by Sachs scholars, Loevner said that there are certain common threads.

"The award is intended for someone whose interests and career are likely to benefit society at large," he said. "We are looking for more of a world view."

Alisharan said that she is appreciative of the flexibility the scholarship allows her.

"My thesis and current focus is now science. When I go to Oxford, I might branch into other areas of psychology. It's nice because the community is very supportive of looking around and exploring a lot of options," she said.

Loevner said Alisharan is an exemplary recipient of the award.

"She personifies the qualities we are looking for in a Sachs scholar – intelligence, demonstrated academic achievement at Princeton and broad-ranging interests," he said.

"I'm really excited about (the scholarship). It's exactly what I wanted to do, and I like the fact that it's a Princeton scholarship that was given by a committee of Princeton alums, former winners of the scholarship," Alisharan said.

Governance of the scholarship's executive committee rests with the 28 former scholars. The chairmanship of the committee rotates every five to six years. The current chairman is David Loevner '76, who received the award during his final year at the University.

Alternative study

The Sachs award differs from grants such as the Rhodes and Marshall Scholarships in several ways. First, it is offered only to Princeton students. Second, it provides recipients with an alternative to studying at Worcester College.

Assistant Dean of the College Nancy Kanach, who is in charge of study abroad programs and fellowships, said that "the other option is a travel fellowship, to follow a program of study that he or she will make up." However, according to Loevner, most recipients have opted for study at Oxford.

Among the 28 former winners of the Sachs Scholarship is Elena Kagan '81, who currently serves as Deputy Director for Domestic Policy in the Clinton administration.

The committee announced Alisharan as the winner in the middle of January.