USG selects college circuit regular Waka Flocka Flame for Lawnparties headliner

waka flocka
Waka Flocka Flame performing in July of 2013. 
Waka Flocka Flame Live Concert @ Les Ardentes Festivalby Kmeron / CC BY-NC-ND 2.0

Spring 2023 Lawnparties will feature Waka Flocka Flame as its headliner with Skeez as a supporting act, according to a series of Instagram posts from the Undergraduate Student Government (USG) Social Committee on April 13.

Notably, Waka Flocka Flame has previously been a part of Lawnparties, performing at Colonial Club in Sept. 2018. USG social chair Avi Attar ’25 stated that “this fact did not weigh heavily on the decision,” though he added that “upperclassmen involved in the process have expressed their excitement that it feels full-circle.”

Waka Flocka Flame is a Georgia-raised rapper best known for his 2010 hit “No Hands” featuring Roscoe Dash & Wale, which peaked at 13 on the Billboard Hot 100. His other hits include “O Let's Do It,” “Grove St. Party,” and “Round of Applause.” Per his Spotify page, where he has more than 5,000,000 monthly listeners, Waka Flocka Flame is an “early influencer of Trap music, inspiring many artists of today with his extensive mixtape catalog consisting of over 30 projects.” 

In April of the same year as his performance at Princeton, he performed at Lafayette College, and in October, he performed at both Hamilton College and at Louisiana State University, followed by performances at both Bates College and the University of Chicago in November 2018. In 2019, he performed at Lindenwood University in February, the University of Arizona in August, and at the University of Houston in November. His performance at Shenandoah University in April 2019 was canceled due to his involvement in a shootout. In April 2022, he performed at Susquehanna University, and in August of the same year, he performed at both Eastern Kentucky University and at Queen’s College. The next month, he gave a concert at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, followed by a performance at both Northern Illinois University and Oklahoma State University in October and a concert at North Carolina State University in November. Last month, he also gave a free performance at Ferris State University in Michigan

Prior to his first Lawnparties performance, Waka Flocka Flame also performed at Brown University in April 2015 and at the University of North Florida in Oct. 2016. 

The 2023 Lawnparties show will take place on the Frist North Lawn on Sunday, April 30, the weekend after the last day of classes. The event will also feature student opener Ziff & Griff. 

Prior to 2022, Lawnparties headliner concerts took place in the backyard of Quadrangle Club, but due to ongoing construction, the venue was changed to the Frist North Lawn last spring.

Attar wrote in a message to The Daily Princetonian that “the artist was selected through a collaborative process involving mainly USG and ODUS [the Office of the Dean of Undergraduate Students].” Fall 2022 Lawnparties were headlined by indie rock band Hippo Campus and Spring 2022 Lawnparties by rapper Flo Milli. 

Attar also told the ‘Prince’ that there will be new changes to the event this year, including “DJing at the [SPIA] fountain, a new banner for photos, TigerTale pins, the inclusion of a supporting act, food during the headlining performance, and more.”

Skeez, the supporting act, hails from Omaha, Neb., and according to his Spotify artist page, loves “sports (and sports gambling), sandals, and his homies.”

Student openers Griffin Maxwell Brooks ’23 and Adam Ziff ’23, collectively known by stage name Ziff & Griff, wrote in a message to the ‘Prince’ that they are “both very grateful for the opportunity and super excited to perform.”

Ziff & Griff.jpeg
Student opener duo Ziff & Griff.
Courtesy of Griffin Maxwell Brooks

“Our musical stylings range from disco and house to pop and hyperpop, and we’re ready to dish up a memorable set that feels fresh and exciting, especially for Princeton. We want people to come ready to dance and let loose, even if they don’t immediately recognize the music we play,” they added. 

Tickets will be available for graduate students and students’ guests from April 17th until noon on April 28th. 

The headliner’s management did not respond to a request for comment from the ‘Prince’ by the time of publication.

Nandini Krishnan is a Staff writer for the ‘Prince.’